goretex boots yes or not

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
Since moving to Goretex lined [Cordura outer preferred over leather] boots some years ago, I have never looked back. Sure your feet feel a tad clammy, but never wet.

As for durability, the boots [Saloman, Lowa, Danner] have remained waterproof right up to the soles wore out. And as for footrot, well the only time I had a problem in this area was years ago whilst wearing a pair of leather boots that did not get a chance to dry for a week.

Vince

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Rebel said:
Could be worth trying the SealSkinz socks I mentioned earlier. Since I started using them I've not bothered with GoreTex, Hydro-Shield, Sympatex, Jontex or whatever.

A good review. Thanks for that. But it says they fill up once the water goes over the tops. But I like the idea of putting them on after the immersions to have dry feet in wet boots.

Will trial them in the jungle.

Stuart, you have Sealskinz. Do you use them while walking or just afterward?

WelshTriffid

Jan 11, 2006
Wales
I've got a pair of army issue Gortex ProBoots, I've had them for about 4 years and they've seen action all over the world and as of yet I can't fault em.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
GTX and similar boots are fine for a variety of environments but they are challenged in a tropical rainforest especially one with many rivers and streams. Thats why you wear jungle boots with vents. The boot and your feet get wet but the boots drains so you don't get immersion foot.

The Sealskinz seem like a good idea to be worn in camp or when the water crossings are finished.

Some years ago Bruce Sandilands, a government surveyor, was abandoned by his native guides with just a tin of sardines once he developed infections from his immersion foot. It is not possible to evacuate someone once they are down and immobile. He died about two weeks later according to his diary. So leave the waterproof boots at home is what we recommend to those coming out here

See this Wilderness Medical Society article of an expedition in Borneo http://www.wemjournal.org/wmsonline...&issn=1080-6032&volume=015&issue=03&page=0233

and http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9290296&dopt=Abstract

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE