Gong

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
A guy on the london hackspace forums wanted to know how to safely mount a 1.2m table saw blade onto some scaffolding with brackets and such. I showed him how I'd do it with some pioneering know how. Made a lovely bongggggg as well. Its going in the Tate modern on 25th July. Sad I couldn't be there to help or see it but I bet it makes a good noise!

f1943b1f8c8b31908800c3c9364513b1.jpg

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Quite a dinner gong. That'll call them in for their dinner for miles around.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Er, did they really hang up a saw blade where kids run around? Now I have as cheerful a disregard for H & S as most but please tell me it wasn't left like that?

ATB

Tom

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I think the blade won't be that sharp any more - and that sort of saw blade never has the tendon-slicing properties of a Silky blade even when new.

It *looks* jagged and pointy. Kids are fairly good at avoiding the obvious.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
No. No they are not. Go to any A & E unit and ask.

All it needs is roping off.

i got my NEBOSH in 92 and did 12 Years doing H & S with what used to be HMR&C ( ok it was only part of the job but you had to keep up to date )

if it was just a exercise and was taken down soon after fair enough but leave it like that in what probably counts as a playground....

just my opinion of course.

atb

tom

Last edited:

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I have 6 children

When something is obviously dangerous, kids are generally good at avoiding injury.

It's things like tins, that morph from being a safe object to tendon-slicing lethality with little change in appearance, that catch them out.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
It was up and being hit for quote a while without incident. It's rusty and not sharp. I'd be more worried about a crush injury. There's rope round the base to stop kids running under it. They had immense fun using it and it was very safe IMHO

Its in the Tate 25th July if anyone isn't going to the moot. The guy who's art it is will be next to it and tightening and checking it and has 5m insurance so should all be fine.

I do axe throwing with the kids and that's far more dangerous.

The rope is fairly thick sisal and he can double it up for extra security. He was also talking about using cross beams along the bottom instead. Its only got to last 9hrs before it gets taken down anyway.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE