The world's gone mad (again)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Sorry to hear about your father's experience. My mum (70s) lost a knife left to her by her mother, a tiny special Swiss Army type, at Bankok. The flight wasn't meant to stop there. Bankok has a "no knife" rule, whereas UK airports have a "sub-60mm, tip to pivot" rule.

The rule is not published at the first layer of "Permitted Carry-On", there is usually a main page of what is permitted, which will say something like "No knives or pointed items...for more information see XXXX." When you go look at that reference, the exact rules are spelled out. The only problem is that airport staff can be a bit over pedantic about applying the rule,

For instance, Dublin's rules state:
  • knives with blades of more than 6 cm,
  • scissors with blades of more than 6 cm as measured from the fulcrum
and when I went through, with a specially modified SAK that was ground to 5.8cm, it was taken because they measured knives from point to "fulcrum" too. :banghead:

Both Boker Plus and Ruike do sub-£18 knives that have blades within these limits, made of 12C27, with G10 handles. I always make sure to draw the attention of security as I am putting stuff in the x-ray tray. I hand the knives (Ruike and modded zero blade SAK) over so that they can satisfy themselves that they comply. No problems anywhere that the rules say that this is acceptable. Just have to be aware that the return airport might have different rules, so stuff might need to return in hold, and the chance of unscheduled stops makes it good to have stuff that you can afford to lose.

Why I do it, two fold, one I like to have tools, they can be useful, and two, because I want to be one of the people showing that knives can be carried responsibly, as tools. If all anyone sees of knives is in the news, they will think they are always weapons, not much one can do but try to set an example otherwise.

Chris

Last edited:

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Since when did carrying a UK legal knife become abnormal? I have had a pocket knife of some shape or form on me since I was about 8 years old. I agree there are places where you should consider leaving it at home but relegating them to the woods is a backwards step. Prohibition never solved much, dealing with the issues that cause the violence would be a better idea.
I think that context is everything here. I read that someone was sentenced in the local courts for carrying a folding pocket knife which I would have thought street legal, but I doubt if that was an innocent bystander. My current EDC when I don't need anything more specific like the saw on my SAK farmer, is a spyderco clipit with a bottle opener and screwdriver. I am sure it has been in plain sight of the cops on many an occasion but I am not a teenager and if I were asked I would give a reason for carrying it even though the law says I do not have to. I think I could fairly argue, that the blade is of great utility in opening plastic packaging and cutting plastic ties, very much a modern urban necessity as I don't always want to take everything home before opening it.

Glass-Wood-Steel

Jul 31, 2016
Cheshire
I think that context is everything here. I read that someone was sentenced in the local courts for carrying a folding pocket knife which I would have thought street legal, but I doubt if that was an innocent bystander. My current EDC when I don't need anything more specific like the saw on my SAK farmer, is a spyderco clipit with a bottle opener and screwdriver. I am sure it has been in plain sight of the cops on many an occasion but I am not a teenager and if I were asked I would give a reason for carrying it even though the law says I do not have to. I think I could fairly argue, that the blade is of great utility in opening plastic packaging and cutting plastic ties, very much a modern urban necessity as I don't always want to take everything home before opening it.
I think it must be very difficult for the Police, out on the street trying to keep the peace. It is a shame however that a teenager of legal knife buying age could be the subject of predjudice. Some peoples views of knives seems a little distorted at times. A young lady in the office I used to work in once saw me get out a boker tech tool 1 ( Heinnie edition) to cut a sandwich in half. Ooh that looks dangerous was her comment.

Reactions: plastic-ninja

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE