going barefoot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stretch3144

Feb 3, 2009
North Tawton, Devon
I used to go barefoot when I was based on Ascension Island. I did a lot of scuba diving so was forever walking across rocky beaches or across lava rock to get into/out of the water. I am happy around my home and garden in barefoot, but tend to wear footwear for everything else.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I remember watching a TV programme about a guy walking Land's End to John O'Groats totally naked, he didn't go barefoot though in fact i remember the only thing he did actually wear was a pair of boots.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"... it's really fascinating and asks: is being shod really all its cracked up to be?....I think it's worth experimenting with when terrain and climate permits. I plan on toughing up my feet a bit and the next time I'm in the woods I'll slip off the shoes and go barefoot for a few miles to strengthen my feet..."

There is a 'middle way' wear sandals for a few trips, your feet will still 'toughen up' but with less chance of injury. :)

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I loved running (now called jogging) along the beach at Hyeres, when I was a watersport instructor there. I went barefoot all the time and after a few days you walked normally. Walking along sand etc, it almost massages your feet.

I have just got back from France after 34days camping and I rarely wear shoes around the campsites. It's much less hassle than stinking out trainers, tevas or having to wash socks all the time.

Wild swimming, yes, in colder water, going in slower does get you used to the temps.

Nick

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I like going barefoot too. Although around here, my biggest worry would be dog s***t. :yuck: It's everywhere...:rant: Bad enough on your shoes, but on your bare feet.....

I remember walking barefeet in a cow pat once, to my kids delight!!!

FoxyRick

Forager
Feb 11, 2007
Rossendale, England
I've read about barefoot hiking in the USA before.

As a kid I rarely wore anything on my feet when possible; that is when not at school, church, or wherever else my parents dragged me. I found shoes extremely uncomfortable (and still do) as I have very broad feet. Even in winter I would happily play in the snow with no shoes! Probably not for too long though...

I did have just one nasty incident: I was walking along a garden wall and fell off, into our rose patch. My foot got wedged and hooked by the thorns into a Y-split in the branches. That stung!

As an adult I haven't changed much. I never wear shoes around the house or garden, unless I'm using a spade or doing similar work where it's a safety issue.

I walked about 80 miles or so of the Pennine Way in just socks, when the blisters from my boots had got so bad that my socks were blood-soaked. It was much nicer, even the boggy bits.

Unfortunately, most of the places I get to have too much dog dropping around for me to go barefoot.

I've also popped the occasional large slug between my toes, when outdoors at night :aargh4:

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Does anybody carry a 50Kg rucksack over rocky ground - barefoot?

Jim

That is sort of the point, to carry those weights and above you need the protection of boots.

I used to go camping now its called bushcraft.

I used to go for a dip in the cut now its called wild swimming

*** :rolleyes:

:lmao:

One thing that is impressing me all these people in Austrailian and New Zealand going barefoot. If I lived there I would roll around in a bubble. Spiders, and snakes bother me in this country. :eek:

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
One thing that is impressing me all these people in Austrailian and New Zealand going barefoot. If I lived there I would roll around in a bubble. Spiders, and snakes bother me in this country. :eek:

I understand that if you meet a snake in Australia it is more likely to be poisonous than non-poisonous. In every other country it's the other way round - non-poisonous ones predominate.

Jim

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
That is sort of the point, to carry those weights and above you need the protection of boots.

:lmao:

No snakes at all in New Zealand :D

Aussiepom

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Mudgee, NSW
I regularly see people here in NSW (Australia) going barefoot in the streets, in the shopping centres, to and from the beach, etc, etc. I do it myself occasionally too. The weather's more often hot than not and it's refreshing to have bare feet. However, I have never once seen anybody, old or young, travelling in the bush without footwear. Actually, I take that back - the Aboriginals on TV docos seem to be barefoot more often than not, but I've never seen an Aboriginal in the bush in real life either.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Does anybody carry a 50Kg rucksack over rocky ground - barefoot?

Jim

Does anyone carry a 50kg rucksack, for the fun of it :eek: even with shoes on!!! Blimey.. I carried a 20kg inflatable canoe the other days for a couple of hundred yards, that was heavy enough!

Maybe moccassins are a good compromise between being barefeet and wearing shoes?

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've read about barefoot hiking in the USA before.

As a kid I rarely wore anything on my feet when possible; that is when not at school, church, or wherever else my parents dragged me. I found shoes extremely uncomfortable (and still do) as I have very broad feet. Even in winter I would happily play in the snow with no shoes! Probably not for too long though...

I did have just one nasty incident: I was walking along a garden wall and fell off, into our rose patch. My foot got wedged and hooked by the thorns into a Y-split in the branches. That stung!

As an adult I haven't changed much. I never wear shoes around the house or garden, unless I'm using a spade or doing similar work where it's a safety issue.

I walked about 80 miles or so of the Pennine Way in just socks, when the blisters from my boots had got so bad that my socks were blood-soaked. It was much nicer, even the boggy bits.

Unfortunately, most of the places I get to have too much dog dropping around for me to go barefoot.

I've also popped the occasional large slug between my toes, when outdoors at night :aargh4:

I can't recall wearing shoes much as small child either. The only injury I remember is stepping on wasp. My feet now a G width, and don't fit most womens shoes. I am glad i don't own the type of twisted feet that fit high heels. I have stepped in dog poo, it is easyier to clean off a foot than boot. The main thing that stops me from going bare foot more often is broken glass, and in truth conforming to the convention.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
The way I look at it is my feet are my primary form of transport, I'm not taking the risk of disabling myself in the middle of nowhere by not wearing boots.
Reminds me of a chap I used to work with who would only wear his slippers to work in a metal casting machine shop, rather than wear steelys. He came a cropper.

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
I regularly see people here in NSW (Australia) going barefoot in the streets, in the shopping centres, to and from the beach, etc, etc.

Sounds like there's an opportunity for an entrepreneurial type to export some shoes to Australia. Who knows, the colonials might take to them!
;^)

Jim

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
I remember watching a TV programme about a guy walking Land's End to John O'Groats totally naked, he didn't go barefoot though in fact i remember the only thing he did actually wear was a pair of boots.
i remember that programme.
the fella in question was an ex bootie (royal marine) and he was a bit of a hippy.
he was attempting to be the first person to walk from land end to john o groats in his birthday suit but when he got to scotland he was arrested and jailed for public indecency.
when he left prison he was rearrested for the same offence and chucked back in court lol
i dont think he ever got to finish the walk.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE