going barefoot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
In the US, some members of the historical trekking community (people to travel the woods like 18th century frontier folk) go barefoot for some portion of their scouts, while wearing moccasins the rest of the time.

And of course, barefoot running has its own subculture in the running community.

I was just catching up on my weekly anthropology reading and came across this fascinating piece:

http://neuroanthropology.net/2009/07/26/lose-your-shoes-is-barefoot-better/ that asks whether going barefoot is better.

It's a long read -- it goes from Zola Budd to Otzi back to 40,000 years ago and back to now.

But it's really fascinating and asks: is being shod really all its cracked up to be?

It makes interesting points -- among them is data that suggests running shoes actually increase injury rates and that arch supports end up weakening our feet. The ultra light backpacking community has produced similar data about heavy hiking boots vs. hiking in sneakers -- there is some support for the idea that heavy boots increase injury rates.

Anyhow, some of you might find this article interesting. In the end, the odds are good that the benefits of shoes in most cases outweigh the damage they do.

I think it's worth experimenting with when terrain and climate permits. I plan on toughing up my feet a bit and the next time I'm in the woods I'll slip off the shoes and go barefoot for a few miles to strengthen my feet.

akabu

Tenderfoot
Apr 23, 2006
USA
fad and misinformation as soon as "Native peoples" can get foot ware they do so, just think when you Stub your toe going to the bathroom and break it ...oow oow oow and expletives.
You are now a Cripple and burden to the group.
I should also add that every chance I get I toughen my feet but carefully.

lisa

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2003
Lake District
I love running barefoot!!! ...and when at home I run in the fells over uneven and often rocky terrain. I have never (yet) broken a toe whilst running or whilst walking into my bathroom for that matter ;-). I guess a degree of extra care is definitely required, but that's part of the joy...tuning in to the environment and your own body more closely, rather than just pounding by, ignoring your 'pain' and listening to an ipod? But the best part, if you enjoy running, is the sense of light/sure footedness and freedom of movement!

Barefoot running has also helped me to strengthen my foot arches and ankles, and helped enormously with a knee problem. There are definitely times when (as Mikey suggests) Vibram 5-fingers are great to give some extra protection or warmth...I usually at least carry them :). Its definitely worth reading about first and starting very gently, with no more than 10 minutes...just don't overdo it as with anything else. Oh and obviously don't run barefoot where you may be exposed to broken glass and other rubbish or natural hazards, common sense applies!

Get out there and try it I say...and guess what, you don't even have to spend any money on fancy shoes ;-).

Lise

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I am constantly barefoot in the house and garden and I do a lot of running, but in trainers. I just don't think I have the confidence to try 'running' barefoot. I did look at the fivefingers but they are quite expensive.

lisa

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2003
Lake District
Xylaria, that's exactly it! :).

Mikey if you're into running perhaps you should try it? Once your muscles become accustomed, you can run much further and more efficiently uphill and on uneven terrain. I often hike barefoot too, when the ground is nice, as its much more refreshing and easy on your feet.

I have just finally started reading a book 'Born to run' by Christopher McDougall, which explores the running techniques of the Tarahumara Indians who are capable of running extremely long distances without shoes. Interestingly, the book also makes mention of Louis Liebenberg (author of 'The Art of Tracking, the Origin of Science') and touches on his experience of long distance running with the Bushman of the Kalahari...he joins them when they decide to 'run down' their prey over huge distances! Fascinating stuff...

Anyway Mikey, if you're ever bored its worth trying just for the fun of all the 'clever' comments you'll receive ;-)

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
I love running barefoot!!! ...and when at home I run in the fells over uneven and often rocky terrain. I have never (yet) broken a toe whilst running or whilst walking into my bathroom for that matter ;-). I guess a degree of extra care is definitely required, but that's part of the joy...tuning in to the environment and your own body more closely, rather than just pounding by, ignoring your 'pain' and listening to an ipod? But the best part, if you enjoy running, is the sense of light/sure footedness and freedom of movement!

Lisa, what you're describing are many of the precise benefits described in the article and supported by research. The lightfootedness, the difference in the way you move (and attention paid) while barefoot and the significant health benefits by restoring the natural shock absorbing architecture. And fewer injuries, too.

But you're right, care must be taken to work up to it. Today I took my dog for a long walk in a wooded park barefoot. I think this is where I would start and work up to it.

When you started running barefoot, how long did it take for you feet to toughen up?

lisa

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2003
Lake District
Hi Dogwood, I haven't yet read the article (but definitely will) so that's great that this is what the research indicates.

Its hard to say how long as I guess I started like you, first I started hiking in the mountains, sticking to softer grassy areas. Then as my calves and foot muscles strengthened a little I would 'warm up' a run barefoot. Then if the weather was nice, I just didn't want to put shoes back on and would ditch my trainers somewhere to pick up on the way back? There is a difference between your foot muscles getting used to it and your skin toughening...the latter being dictated by how much rough surfaces you run on and how much you previously walk barefoot? Anyway, i would say overall it took about a month!

When I was in my mid teens I simply refused to put shoes on! My poor parents had a nightmare taking me anywhere 'nice' :). In my early twenties I did a lot of running in trainers and developed a lot of knee pain...not the fault of the trainers (bio-mechanical) but no matter how much ankle/ knee supportive bandages, fancy shoes and inner-soles etc nothing has been as helpful as simply running barefoot!

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
There are some very interesting studies on this.

One of the most interesting was about trainers, and that the modern expensive ones actually promote injuries. What they found was new high tech trainers actually stop certain muscles from strengthing, these muscles are involved in the protection and alignment of the foot. What they advised was breaking in new pairs, over a period of weeks, so that by the time you spend a lot of time in them, they have already lost a lot of their strength.

Also in the running field there are race shoes, that are a lot lighter. Including a tabi style one.

One of the main people behind the lightweight hiking movement, was trying to hike barefoot, but with the pack weights normally used you need the protection of a boot.

All that said if you are going to use an axe, I would wear boots.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
There was a report by Nike IIRC on the benefits of different types of running shoes, much to their embarrassment it turns out that you are less likely to be injured if you run barefoot. :eek:

In the house and garden/camp I wear crocs, fantastic invention they are so comfy :)

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I love walking barefoot, it is one of those wierd liberating things like wild swimming. But like wild swimming the brain has be engaged first.

Please xylaria what is wild swimming?

As for going barefoot, generations of Australian kids would grow up barefoot almost all the time. Stubbing your toe is a civilised problem. Do it often enough and you take care of where and how you walk.

As for natives wearing shoes, in many cases I think shoes are status symbols like wristwatches. they can't read the time but want a watch anyway.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Please xylaria what is wild swimming?

As for going barefoot, generations of Australian kids would grow up barefoot almost all the time. Stubbing your toe is a civilised problem. Do it often enough and you take care of where and how you walk.

As for natives wearing shoes, in many cases I think shoes are status symbols like wristwatches. they can't read the time but want a watch anyway.

http://www.wildswimming.co.uk/about.html

it is quite safe if you use your brain, know what causes cramp and thermal shock, and are aware of your own body. That paticular website shows too many pictures people jumping in for my liking, it even shows teenage boys jumping off a brigde:nono: . I was quite lucky I used go swimming on hampsted pond as a teenager where there was a lifeguard, who told me one icey day i wasn't fat enough for a full swim. I was instructed on getting the water slowly and I was timed and told to get out when she wasn't happy with me singing good king wenslalass.

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
What they found was new high tech trainers actually stop certain muscles from strengthing, these muscles are involved in the protection and alignment of the foot.

That's interesting! We have problems here when the boys go to do their national service. Many have never worn shoes or boots, having spent their whole life in trainers. They get into the army, and their feet are in such bad condition that they can't wear army boots for extended periods.

As for going barefoot, I think if we ask back a generation or two, our parents/grandparents from the countryside will tell us that they spent their whole summers barefoot (adults too!)

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain

Ditto. In New Zealand we didn't really wear shoes at all as kids. I only started using them regularly when I went to high school.

We sometimes stubbed our toes but it was an inconvenience more akin to a paper cut than a group-threatening injury. Going barefoot didn't stop us doing anything that I can think of. I sometimes walked 20+ miles in bare feet. The only real problem I can remember was encountering poorly stubbed out cigarettes on city streets :eek:

Even Kiwi adults are fairly likely to go barefoot if it is more convenient. I often see adults barefoot in the supermarket - they just can't be bothered to put shoes on when getting out of the car.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE