Glue for fixing scales?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
N

Nomad

What is a good glue for fixing wood scales straight to a tang? I see 'epoxy' is often mentioned, but what epoxy? Araldite? Marine epoxy resin (maybe with somthing to bulk it up)? Something else?

The project bits I have came with a plain brass pin, although I could possibly make/buy loveless or corby bolts if it's felt that they are a significant improvement over relying on the glue to keep the scales from coming away from the tang.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Any two part epoxy will work. Araldite is one of the better ones, but theres also Devvcon 2 ton, and Zpoxy,

Pins are fine :)

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
You can't go worng with Devcon 2 Ton as long as you mix it properly. 'Ordinary' Araldite will often cure to a more yellow colour so any gap-filling you do with it will become more apparent. Devcon cures pretty clear and is as tough as you're ever likely to need it to be.

Never rely solely on any epoxy to fit scales to a full tang. You'll still want a couple of pins at least. With rat tail tangs in block handles, make sure you have a good 'key' in the tang so it won't ever slip free.

N

Nomad

I'll see if I can track down some of this Devcon 2 Ton - sounds like the business. The tang has various holes in it, including two 4mm ones, and the bits came with some 4mm brass rod.

It's the short "Mora clone' that was for sale recently in the classifieds, and I'm considering reworking the blade shape a bit - wondering if a 'stubby woodlore' shape is worth trying. I was thinking of a knife for carving/whittling. At the moment, the blade is about 3" long, and would maybe go down to 2.5" if it was changed to a spear point. My reckoning is that it would give better control of the point for doing smaller details.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE