give me some inspiration

right all you lovely people.
my grandfather has given me a budget of £50 to buy a chrimbo present for myself.
slight problem i have absolutely no idea what to ask for.
so any suggestions?
Sam

EDIT i have so many sharp pointy things it is silly so something other than sharp pointy no matter how pretty

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'd put it towards a decent bit of kit that will last you a lifetime and will always remind you of your granpa whenever you use it.

Something like a knife, axe or maybe a piece of carved wood like a kuksa or noggin ?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Sam,

What about aproaching one of the makers on here about making you something especially for you. That way you'll not only have something unique, but everytime either you or some other person looks at it your grandfathers spirit will live on... even after you've gone too... as depending what you choose it may outlast you.
I've a couple of my great great ( may be another great in there ) grandfathers apprentice pieces when he was learning to be a blacksmith. It's a simple telescopic toasting fork. ( Will have to learn to post pics on the site ). Every time I use it I think of the family history. I've a few family pieces from down the years and they always give me so much joy to still use to this day.

Sorry If it seems soppy - but it works for me.

Colin.

Sorry If it seems soppy - but it works for me.

That doesnt sound at all Soppy mate i really like that idea.
time to have a think and a nose at some makers methinks.
be a nice way to have my grandad with me on my adventures too at 87 he is a bit too old to want to come out camping with me.

Sam

PS i have a telescopic toasting fork my grandmother made on night shifts when they were meant to be building spitfires. little unique heirlooms are a lovely thing aint they

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
What about a large crook knife? Every time you sit carving something you can let your thoughts drift to your grandfather:)

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
See if you can acquire a good condition Stanley military compass (*bay, but go with care). I got a perfect M72 which will become a family heirloom and would be a wonderful thing to spend your money on

NS

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That doesnt sound at all Soppy mate i really like that idea.
time to have a think and a nose at some makers methinks.
be a nice way to have my grandad with me on my adventures too at 87 he is a bit too old to want to come out camping with me.

Sam

PS i have a telescopic toasting fork my grandmother made on night shifts when they were meant to be building spitfires. little unique heirlooms are a lovely thing aint they

Hi Sam,
Cheers for not thinking me an old sop. I love that toasting fork and the mini plough he made. Really will have to learn to put pics on the sight as they are a joy these little gems.

I do love Fred Gordons idea about the "crook knife" not only would the idea be nice... and a certain maker is making some mighty purty ones on the makers forums right now... but think, every spoon, axe handle, kuska and whittled bit of wood would have your grand-dads soul in there too.

Sounds like an heirloom to me.

Colin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE