Ginger and Honey Duck with Rhubarb

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Field tested recipie

For two duck breasts

The Marinade

About an espresso cup’s worth of balsamic vinegar
Two table spoons of thick set honey
A few sprigs of fresh rosemary
5g ginger grated or chopped very thinly

The Rhubarb

100g of rhubarb peeled and chopped
10g ginger, grated or chopped very thinly
1tsp honey
1tbsp water

Score the skin on the breasts by running a sharp knife across it, try to make a nice criss cross pattern.

Put the vinegar, honey and ginger in a pan and slowly heat, scrunch the rosemary in your hand to bruise it and add this to the pan. Keep on a low heat and allow it to gently steam for a minute or two. Try not to let it simmer or boil but don’t worry, the world won’t come to an end if you do. Once the flavours have had a chance to merge pour over the duck breast and allow to marinate for 24 hours. If you keep the breasts meat side down the meat will be lying in the marinade rather than the skin.

note: to keep the meat fresh during hot weather keep it in a tupaware container buried in the shade of the woods.

Put the rhubarb, ginger, honey and water in a pan and cook until the rhubarb is soft, allow to cool.

Fry the duck breast to taste spooning over the marinade as you go; the balsamic will caramelise / burn and produce a lot of smoke so it is best to save this recipe for cooking over an open fire, a non stick pan would help, if you are doing it inside turn the smoke alarm off and open the windows. Allow the meat to rest for five minutes and serve with the rhubarb, spinach; lightly sauted in butter, olive oil and nutmeg and new potatoes.

To accompany might I suggest builder’s tea with little bits of twig floating in the top.

Duck is not the easiest thing to eat with a spoon and a sheath knife.

I'm compiling a few of my favourite recipies that have been tested in the field, you can see more here

Reactions: Cyclingrelf

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Ooh, that sounds good. I'm drooling. Fortunately it's lunchtime, but unfortunately I won't be getting marinaded duck :(

Spikey DaPikey said:
Sounds great, but im gonna use turkey instead, as i dint eat duck, as i find them too funny to eat, they make me smile :lmao:

If I was doing Turkey I would rub it in crushed garlic, then leave it to marinade in the balsamic and serve it with griddled cherry tomatoes and a dollop of pesto.

If you do the honey and ginger one let us know what it's like.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE