German Army Mountain Pack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
I've got a black Mil-Tec pack which I've used every day for the last 3 years for work, and although externally its stood up well, the PVC coating inside the lid is cracked and peeling off. I wanted an OG issue one from Endicotts but they didn't have any in stock at the time. As an every day pack I love it, and the canvas is pretty good for short journeys in the rain, but I wouldn't want to test it for any length of time.

When (if) it needs replacing I'll get an issued one definately. It's a great pack.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Mmmmm. A GB on the real German army issued version? Now that's an idea........

I'd need to have a pretty good condition version though but I could always do with another. I've had mine for the last 3 years and its bomb-proof. I would say the base is great for it resting on the wet ground but in heavy rain I would never rely on any rucksack to protect the contents and would probably have it in dry bags anyway. The lid is pretty good for keeping of direct rain as it has a thick PVC lining.

LBL

Hmm, I guess a rucksack cover or poncho would solve the problem in heavy downpours.

Also has anyone tried fitting a DD hammock, DD Tarp (3x3), sleeping bag and mat in it for a night out and would it leave much room for anything else? I can see from the pics that Wayland managed to cram enough in. :)

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Sillly question, how do these stand up to the wet weather? I have never really owned a canvas type bag but may be interested.

quite well, the large lid is lined with a lining so keeps most of the bag dry, and its quite dense, heavy weave cotton which seems to swell and keep the water out. The base is also lined so keeps moisture out when you put it on the ground.

They arent waterproof so wont survive a dunking but in anything other than very heavy rain they are reasonably good in my experience with mine

Hmm, I guess a rucksack cover or poncho would solve the problem in heavy downpours.

Also has anyone tried fitting a DD hammock, DD Tarp (3x3), sleeping bag and mat in it for a night out and would it leave much room for anything else? I can see from the pics that Wayland managed to cram enough in. :)

yeah i have pretty much done that, i strapped a blanket top the outside and then was able to fit a small stove and some food inside and water bottles in the side pouches. I also had my day hike shoulder bag with small 'loose' bits in it.

only thing i found was if you dont pack it right things poke you in the back, so cut down a cheap kip mat to make a bit of padding in the pocket inside (or buy a german kip mat which folds up and fits in perfectly)

Last edited:

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
On e-bay at mo for £15.99 plus postage - also some smaller polish day packs from the same company + stainless steel crusader stlye mugs (dutch issue at £6.99!!)

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
AWESOME. I have been looking for a canvas day pack that would work for an overnight bivi and I think Ive found it. Thank you Wayland and all others who posted some excellent advice on the post. My only problem now is where to prioritize it on my wish list.....:confused: :dunno:

TaTanka

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 28, 2010
Texas
I've had one of these packs for a couple years now. Found it for about 10 dollars brand new and used if for a long time to carry my paintball gear. Now it's been turned into an overnight bag.

Really like the new way to thread the clips I'm grabbing it now so I can redo them. It's a great bit of kit and bomb proof one of the toughest bags I've seen.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I've been looking at that kind of pack for a while but am quite happy with my Swedish one for day trips.

I've used buckles like that before (on the old Cobmaster bags IIRC) a bit of a pain till you figure them out but designed not to slip.

Liam

May 31, 2006
Newlyn
LOL, sorry fella, I don't have the pack to fiddle with but it worked ok with me, unclip, rotate the fork looking bit to horizontal then loosen. Clip back on and haul on the free end to tighten. Found this thread from hoodoo, any use or already tried it??

Cheers,

Alan

Thank you so much! This has been driving me mad as well!

Jan 14, 2016
toulouse
Hi everyone, I am new here, my name is Allan
I am going to describe my new gear for 2016
I have recently bought the german army mountain pack with leather straps from Military1st (I used to have an old jansport frame pack)..
And i have to say I am very pleased, it feels rock solid, canvas is rigid and has that pleasing surplus smell i love..
It is neither too small nor too big and i am very surprised by the ammount of stuff i can put in this little 35l bag.
I have added a sternum strap, reinforced the shoulder straps and side pocket straps with "screws" as i did not find rivets, and waterproofed the canvas with a spray on "wax".
I had some photos but i have no idea how to put them in the post...

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Welcome to the forum. Sorry for the lack of response, I've been away for a while.

it'cs a nice little pack isn't it? Surprisingly roomy. Sounds like some good modifications.

For pictures, you generally have to host them on a picture site of some kind and then link them in here.

Tomteifi

Nomad
Jan 22, 2016
Carmarthenshire, South Wales
Hi- just seen your post with your backpack and thought you might like to look at my last post in kit chatter re vintage sacks. And, where did you get your

brown leather little sacks from please?

cheers

Tom.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I've been carrying that pack every day to work for 6 years or so. It has hauled a ton of books and other stuff. Very rugged pack.

germanpack1b.jpg

Still using this pack every day for work. I've hauled a ton of books and other stuff in it over the years. Frankly, I'm amazed at how well it has held up. It's been an incredible workhorse and while I have a lot of other packs, this one has been the perfect size for my everyday needs.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
There's a fair number of German Army Mountain packs at 25lt capacity, they're running about £25 a piece, but that's smaller than you're discussing here, different bag then?

There's a fair number of German Army Mountain packs at 25lt capacity, they're running about £25 a piece, but that's smaller than you're discussing here, different bag then?

they might be fake ones- there was(and probably still is...) a company which specialized in producing gear in BWcamo (without being used by the bundeswehr) labeling them as "" BW gear"".... the quality was usually not what I call "good""....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE