German Army Mountain Pack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've been on the lookout for a smallish pack that I could use as a day sack or even on an overnight bivi. I've looked at a few modern plastic packs but they just didn't do it for me. Nothing wrong with them I suppose but they didn't seem to have any soul, mojo, you know the kind of thing.

I looked at some of the American canvas packs but they seem very expensive for what they are so I was very interested to find this German Army Mountain Pack on the Endicotts web site and I thought I would order one to try it out. ( No connection blah blah..)

Mountain_Pack-2.jpg

First impressions; It's well made from a heavy duty cotton canvas, it has no internal frame which means you have to think a little about how you are going to pack it. The main lid and the pocket lids are lined with something that looks like heavy PVC and the same material is used on the bottom as a weatherproof base.

A nice little detail which I hadn't noticed from the pictures is there is an open sleeve between the pockets and the pack that means something like an axe could be slipped between them for carrying.

The shoulder straps are well padded, comfortable and easy to adjust, the web site mentioned a "Facility for a 25mm Waist Strap" but I couldn't see any practical way of achieving that. No great problem, I don't like waist straps on small packs anyway.

The four main closure buckles are sturdy but of a weird design. They work well but are a bit of a pain to adjust. Maybe I'm missing something but that could have been better thought out. There are 4 strong looking nylon D rings on the lid for tying stuff onto and six places under the cotton webbing that could be used too.
Time to see what it will hold.

The outer pockets are a tiny bit short for a one litre bottle of the "Sigg" type but take the "Naglene" type perfectly. I can fit a light weight poncho in the other one and that is my immediate access gear sorted.

Mountain_Pack-1.jpg

Inside the pack there is a pocket covering the back area with a couple of tabs to hold things in. It's just the right size for my 3m square tarp folded up and that provides padding and some shape to the back of the pack.

Mountain_Pack-5.jpg

A four season down bag in the bottom of the pack in it's own dry bag and a "Thermarest" type mat rolled up on top, leaves just enough room for my hobo stove, a bit of grub and a sit mat. Sorted.
character0175.gif

Mountain_Pack-4.jpg

Fully loaded without the food it weighs in at just under 8kg. No bother.

I'll take it out a bit tomorrow and give it a proper bit of lugging about and maybe get some pictures too.

Last edited:

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I used to have an older version of this pack - same design, but (I think) with leather straps and metal buckles / D-rings, and no padding on the shoulder straps (fixed with cut-up kip mat and duck tape, of course!). It served me well for many years. Can't remember what happened to it in the end...

The “Facility for a 25mm Waist Strap” should simply be two belt loops - but with a pack that size, it's unlikely to be anywhere near your waist. The only use I could see for a belt on this pack would be to stop it going over your head if you bend over.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Can we have a close of the strap adjusters and buckles Gary, they look like they could be threaded differently to make them easier to adjust.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Can we have a close of the strap adjusters and buckles Gary, they look like they could be threaded differently to make them easier to adjust.

I'll add that to the list tomorrow.

I did have a look to see if there was a better way of threading up the buckles but this seems to be the only way they grip properly.

They are not too bad to use unless you let the end of the strap slip to the buckle. You need to loosen that part first and then adjust the fixed end otherwise It won't budge.

It's serviceable in reality and once adjusted I don't think I'll need to mess with them much, so no biggie.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I used to have an older version of this pack - same design, but (I think) with leather straps and metal buckles / D-rings, and no padding on the shoulder straps (fixed with cut-up kip mat and duck tape, of course!). It served me well for many years. Can't remember what happened to it in the end...

The “Facility for a 25mm Waist Strap” should simply be two belt loops - but with a pack that size, it's unlikely to be anywhere near your waist. The only use I could see for a belt on this pack would be to stop it going over your head if you bend over.

The only way I could see of doing it would involve a strap going right around the pack and under the webbing of the main closures. Not really practical as far as I can see.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
i have one of these and have lent it to a friend long term, one thing i did was inside the main bit i slipped a cut down piece of a roll mat into the pouch at the back, just to give your back a bit of cushioning. other than that its a bomb proof pack, but yeah about the straps, i just set them on there longest and then roll them round the clip before clipping them up if i wanted them shorter

Wayland

Hárbarðr
i have one of these and have lent it to a friend long term, one thing i did was inside the main bit i slipped a cut down piece of a roll mat into the pouch at the back, just to give your back a bit of cushioning. other than that its a bomb proof pack, but yeah about the straps, i just set them on there longest and then roll them round the clip before clipping them up if i wanted them shorter

I thought about doing that, in fact my sit mat would do the job fine but the tarp fits there nicely and if the tarp is up I won't be using the pack, so it seems right for me.

If the tarp is wet when packing, I've got a waterproof bag in there that I can wrap around to save it wetting anything else in the pack too.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I've tried several small and medium sized canvas packs now and this one is my favourite, for how it packs, and comfort. Very cheap too.
The sleeve on the inside of the back, fits the German folding kip mat.
The buckles are a pain, but I live with them. Might change them when I can be bothered.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've tried several small and medium sized canvas packs now and this one is my favourite, for how it packs, and comfort. Very cheap too.
The sleeve on the inside of the back, fits the German folding kip mat.
The buckles are a pain, but I live with them. Might change them when I can be bothered.

That makes sense, I might have to look into one of them.
541.gif

Wayland

Hárbarðr
In use the pack rides most comfortably quite low on the back, which is not normally where I would expect it to sit.

Mountain_Pack-1.jpg
Mountain_Pack-2.jpg

Having said that it felt well balanced and secure.

Mountain_Pack-5.jpg

Loaded as you see it here, I took it onto my local fell for a couple of hours walking with Skadi, our dog, and before long it was quite easy to forget about the pack altogether. I’m quite impressed so far.

Mountain_Pack-4.jpg

I’m not sure how it would handle with a more dense cargo, that low position would not suit a really heavy load, but that is not the sort of thing I intend to use this pack for.

I can still sling my camera bag underneath for a landscape trip so that is OK, the only thing missing would be somewhere to attach a tripod. Not a great problem as I often carry my tripod in my hand anyway.

Overall, I think this might do the job quite nicely for me.

Now that Addo has pointed it out I think that pocket is indeed designed for the German folding kip mat, which makes good sense, I may look into getting one to replace the air mat, which I never fully trust anyway. That would leave room to put the tarp at the top of the pack ready for setting up.

I may add a couple of modifications here and there but that is part of the fun when you like tinkering with your kit. In fact it was so inexpensive that I ordered a second one just for spare parts and materials.

I can live with the buckles issue, it's not a major problem, just a bit fiddly.

Mountain_Pack-3.jpg

The way the webbing goes through the buckle grips well but if the strap is cinched up right at the end of the webbing, you cannot easily loosen the top part to adjust the position. Difficult to explain, just could have been better. :dunno:

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
think mine were rigged a little bit differently, I sold this pack on to Hils now but got some pics;

DSCF2513.jpg
[/IMG]

they sat kind of weirdly and you had to sort of turn them inside out to adjust. Also mine came with a waist strap (which I didn't like either so threaded it out the way.) Cracking wee pack though, used it as my canoe food pack but got fed up not being able to get my kettle in so picked up a Rambler.

Cheers,

Alan

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
LOL, sorry fella, I don't have the pack to fiddle with but it worked ok with me, unclip, rotate the fork looking bit to horizontal then loosen. Clip back on and haul on the free end to tighten. Found this thread from hoodoo, any use or already tried it??

Cheers,

Alan

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
with regards the tripod, i use to carry mine with a leg shoved down behind one of the side pouches and then lashed in place with the waist strap which imo is to thin to be useful, makes the pack a bit lopsided so you have to pack taking that into account, my tripod is a manfrotto 190

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Mountain_Pack_Buckle-1.jpg
Mountain_Pack_Buckle-2.jpg
Mountain_Pack_Buckle-3.jpg
Mountain_Pack_Buckle-4.jpg

I am very grateful to Hoodoo for this little tip to improve the performance of the buckles.

Unthread the webbing and turn the buckle over. Bring the webbing loose up the back, over the teeth and then through the first slot. Now bring the webbing up through the next slot and out between the two bottom bars.

This still grips well in use but allows the straps to be tightened when in place.

To loosen, turn the buckle so the prongs point downwards when unconnected or pull outwards on the bottom of the buckle when attached. Much better.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE