GB Govts Advice on disasters??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I wouldn't say "just" or "ratted" but there tends to be a little drinking in the evening.

One or two people occasionally over do it but "Captain Chunder" at the last Midlands meet was a notable rarity.

For most of us it's a chance to relax in good company after a day spent learning or swapping ideas.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I rarerly have seen people wildly overdo it. Interestingly I, as arguably the least sociable person I know, tend to find most people at the smaller meets I have been to as a surprisingly sociable bunch.

I do make a lot of country brews and also "bushcraft" related food (jerky, bannock, game etc.) and I tend to take a variety along and offer them around. I have never noticed a particular emphasis on booze - a bag of jerky offered around seems greeted with the same enthusiasm as elderberry wine, nettle beer or sloe vodka. I think a lot of it is the "spirit of the campfire" where I like to feel I have contributed something to the general enjoyment. At the Mors course G4GHB bivied next to me. He cooked one night, I cooked the next. We overdid the bannock pancakes with blackberries so these were aslo consumed by others.

One of the most interesting experiences I had was roasting coffee beans over the camp fire and then hand grinding them (I think you were there for that one Spike?) and everyone had a turn at the grinder and a sniff of the roasting beans.

I don't know if its really Bushcraft but I enjoy the shared experience that results

Red

crwydryny

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2008
south wales
I'm kind of lucky, short of nuclear fall out my area is rich in food. I probably have enough food stored for month with about the same in bottled water but other than that there are lots of edible plants where I live (how great it is being a 10 minuet walk from the countryside in all directions.) I also keep plenty of ammo for my rifle (good for picking off bunnies and other small edible animals) and a bow with plenty of arrows, and materials for making more meaning that in all but the worst case senerio I'll be able to keep myself and quite a few other people going for a long while, but in a worse case senerio well, there'll only be me and the cockroaches left and once I've finished eating them only me lol

though I must admit I have been lax lately and I don't store as much as I could

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'm kind of lucky, there'll only be me and the cockroaches left and once I've finished eating them only me lol

though I must admit I have been lax lately and I don't store as much as I could

Deep fried roach is supposed to the best way of cooking them. I have never got around to trying them, so I don't know if they supposed to peeled first. Tree aphids are lovely, woodlice are fiddlely to catch, they can move real fast when they know you are after them. Must get around to trying snails. This what I mean about knowledge being lighter than stockpilling. The zombies can always suck my brains though:eek: .

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Elderberry Wine......:1244:.......

Good stuff Wayland,,,,,,,,,so long as you put a good shot of brandy in it ;)

talking of stocking up, Iceland stores are selling pukka one pint cans of Stella for £1 :) 1.2 euro for those in Belgium (what is the price in Belgium?)

mortalmerlin

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Belgium (ex-pat)
Good stuff Wayland,,,,,,,,,so long as you put a good shot of brandy in it ;)

talking of stocking up, Iceland stores are selling pukka one pint cans of Stella for £1 :) 1.2 euro for those in Belgium (what is the price in Belgium?)

The wife says about 8-9 euro for a crate of 24 (25cl). But there are much better beers in Belgium than Stella.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
All these imported beers are the worst from that country. They aren't gonna get rid of the good stuff and keep the crap are they? I heard Australians will give a Castlemain XXXX about a great many other things, and Fosters is also another beer they don't go in for. It's all advertising, but they don't drink it.

Wife beater is only good for one thing, developing a hangover. Oh, and cirrosis of the liver!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE