GB Govts Advice on disasters??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Well, I am sorry folks if I have opened a big can of worms, but the fact is ... That Survival and Bushcraft are connected just as Retreatism, Survivalism, Off-Gridding, Eco-living, Self-Sufficiency, Homesteading and not forgeting TEOTWAWKI. They are all of the same genre. You cannot be one without encompassing something from the others.

If Survival and Survivalism sounds too 'Gung-Ho' for some people then take on board the bits you want, leave the rest but please do not trash or troll other peoples' perspectives of what they see as their personal Situation X scenario or why they do what they do - The subject matter is too large and too interlinked to be compartmented into small sub-disciplines.

Boy, has UK survivalism changed since the 1980's and I fear not for the better.

Dana

Just two branches of the same tree?

Maybe, but isn't that a bit like saying Catholicism and Islam are just two sides of the same coin? In some respects, it would be right, there are many similarities in all religions, but I think there are certain key aspects that make them very different. They pray to different gods for example.

I do find it interesting though, that survivalists argue there is no difference, while bushcrafters argue there is a very great difference. Certainly some of the skills overlap, but importantly, while bushcrafters and survivalists may both go to worship in the church of the woods and kneel at the alter of fire, they are praying to fundamentally different gods.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
That can of worms just got bigger.....
Hardhat.gif

mortalmerlin

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Belgium (ex-pat)
Maybe, but isn't that a bit like saying Catholicism and Islam are just two sides of the same coin? In some respects, it would be right, there are many similarities in all religions, but I think there are certain key aspects that make them very different. They pray to different gods for example.

Yes, catholisim and islam are pretty much the same. Muslims, jews and christians all worship the one god. I know we are now drifting off into uncharted areas of bushcraft but I thought it would be worth pointing out.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Yes, catholisim and islam are pretty much the same. Muslims, jews and christians all worship the one god. I know we are now drifting off into uncharted areas of bushcraft but I thought it would be worth pointing out.

Swap Catholicism for "the holy order of the nigerian crocodile god" then, makes no difference, it's the metaphor that is important.

Dana Hawkeye

Oct 1, 2008
England
I think the 'difference' is seen as:- Survivalists/Survival is seen as harsh and raw, whereas
Bushcrafters/Bushcraft are not - That is, if you want to 'split the two up'.

Maybe the question needs to be asked of people interested in Bushcraft and/or Survival about what they think.

1. Is it one discipline or is it multi-faceted?
2. Will there be a split?

Personally, I think there already has been a split from what I have read on many forums recently.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
This is about the only bit of this thread I haven't winced at - good man.

I'm not trying to upset anyone, but are there a few people who seem to actually be looking forward to this kind of scenario?

Survival, apocalypse and other associated lingo doesn't sit in my mind with Bushcraft - which is being comfortable and enjoying the outdoors.

Spot on Dougster, what worries me the most about long term survival is what I would do when the Stella ran out:eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE