gas bottles other uses

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
does anyone have an alternative use for empty camping gaz type cylinders.. apart from chucking them or even better not buying them in the first place :D

rowen

Jul 8, 2004
Derbyshire
I made a bbq out of a large bottle last summer for my old local, it had a hinged panel to keep the food warm and i kept the valve in to control the temp, bit different from the oil drum ones most pubs have. I have some pics somewhere if anyone would like to see them. Im going to make a chimenea/bbq for a friend who just got his first house when i get the time and i fancy a wood burning stove like you see in westerns

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
yes please rowan - pics are always welcomed hereabouts! ;)

btw are the 'valve threads' male or female? - ie to undo is it clockwise or anticlockwise.....

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
g4ghb said:
yes please rowan - pics are always welcomed hereabouts! ;)

btw are the 'valve threads' male or female? - ie to undo is it clockwise or anticlockwise.....

Two different things there g4ghb, Male thread is an external thread, whereas a female thread is an internal thread...Did you not do biology?:rolleyes: male goes into female...

The threads are normally right hand thread for the valve into the bottle, it is also a tapered thread rather than a parallel one, the connecting thread to your appliance is a left hand thread.

LS

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
Ok i made it and it works fine . But just how do you weld with one of those little arc welders lots and lots of splatter very poor and messy welds which are just not strong except spent a lot of time and rod in one place resulting in a big strong blob . and with the filter in place its impossible to see what is going on ! frustrating

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
100_0116.jpg
[/IMG]
I used the top half of a bottle turned upsidedown for heat treating blades, the copper pipe fitted nicely into the valve that I'd prilled out to allow a better flow of air.
The other half gets used as a charcoal burner/small barbeque.

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
ilan said:
Ok i made it and it works fine . But just how do you weld with one of those little arc welders lots and lots of splatter very poor and messy welds which are just not strong except spent a lot of time and rod in one place resulting in a big strong blob . and with the filter in place its impossible to see what is going on ! frustrating

It sounds as if you are making the mistake that every beginner makes!
Try turning your power UP.
If the juice is right you can strike up easily, and if you are trying to teach yourself
Get the rods worm (just hot enough so you can hold them bare handed for a couple of seconds)
Chris

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
JohnC said:
100_0116.jpg
[/IMG]
I used the top half of a bottle turned upsidedown for heat treating blades, the copper pipe fitted nicely into the valve that I'd prilled out to allow a better flow of air.
The other half gets used as a charcoal burner/small barbeque.

Thats really cool! I was thinking of making a little forge and this looks like a good way to do it!

When cutting the gass bottle, how can you be sure it wont explode!!??? :eek:

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
I am no expert but i use only the red propane gas bottles they have the threaded valve on top open the valve outdooors and the fill the bottle with water till its full i then drill a couple of holes (Where i am going to cut it ) this will now allow the water to flow out drawing in air the bottle should be safe to cut with a jig saw .

willie

Forager
Sep 25, 2004
aberdeen,scotland
www.google.com
ilan said:
Hmm like was said you should play about abit with the power,Depending on size of Electrode u have depends on the Ampres you need, i think my instructor told me a rough rule of thumb is 40 ampre per mm(Thickness),Havent used stick in a while using Tig atm, so a bit rusty lol, Hope it helps

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
john r:
I left the valve unscrewed, and the bottle upside down for a few days, then slowly drilled out the valve with a hand drill, then filled it with water a couple of times. I started the cut around the edge with a hacksaw, checked again with water, then used an angle grinder to cut in half.

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
Don Redondo said:
does anyone have an alternative use for empty camping gaz type cylinders.. apart from chucking them or even better not buying them in the first place :D

the small "Bleuet" and cousins made by other companies?

convert them into a meth. burner: remove the bottom ("ring" connecting wall and bottom should be left intact), place 6 6-8mm holes evenly spaced in the wall just above the ring, drill/saw a hole about 1" (min.) to about 38mm (max)
take the lower end of a beverage/etc. can or one of those tiny tomato paste cans and place it with a gap (a spacer underneath the can is useful) of 1/4" (6 - 8mm) inside the gas cylinder.

Now get (or fabricate) a pot holder (3 tent pegs, rocks etc.) and a windshield and voilà! you´ve got a stove :D

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE