gas bottles other uses

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
I am about half way thro my attempt to make the wood burning stove from an old propane bottle . Looking at ray last night i was thinking one would make a great camp oven or even a smoker has anyone tried this ? ilan

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
A gas bottle will make a more than decent blacksmithing forge. You cut the top off, invert it, remove the valve and attach an air pipe in it's place. The air pipe goes to your bellows. You leave the protective shield in place (the bit that protects the valve) and weld or bolt legs to it. That's basically it. Make a small cover for the bottom to keep the ash out of the hole and fill with coal or charcoal and you are away.

The advantage of using the top of the bottle is you still have the bottom for a cauldron, or a woodburning stove by simply adding a steel plate and welding it in place. That'll give you a cooking surface too.

Eric

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I like the look of that stove i think I might try one or these as I have a gas bottle that has no gas in. Does anybody have any ideas about fitting the hot plate? or what to use ?.

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
I think the idear is to remove part of the vale protector and weld a plate onto it to give a flat surface . I was just going to remove the valve (easier said than done ) even tho it threaded the wrong way. drop a bolt thro to seal the hole and rest a billy on the top supported by the valve protector just to boil for a brew in the work shop. Best to fill it with water before working on the bottle tho

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Thanks for the tip think I'll have a go at this one when I've finnished my bucksaw project

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
ilan said:
I am about half way thro my attempt to make the wood burning stove from an old propane bottle . Looking at ray last night i was thinking one would make a great camp oven or even a smoker has anyone tried this ? ilan
Does anyone have a design for a simple home made smoker that would take a fish? :)

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Thanks tadpole. Looks like a scary tool he is using! I have heard you can make them out of old whisky barrels, unfortunately empty ones. :p

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
ilan said:
I think the idear is to remove part of the vale protector and weld a plate onto it to give a flat surface . I was just going to remove the valve (easier said than done ) even tho it threaded the wrong way. drop a bolt thro to seal the hole and rest a billy on the top supported by the valve protector just to boil for a brew in the work shop. Best to fill it with water before working on the bottle tho

The valve I found to be in the bottle with a standard tapered right hand thread, but some are a smaller valve than others, the 19Kg Bottle is a 3/4" thread so a few black iron pipe fittings can be used to adapt the top, I have used a 3/4" barrel nipple and a 3/4 X 2" bush with a 2" X 3" concentric reducer on top of that, however this is a very expensive way of doing it...A piece of 3" pipe welded to the top with a loose flat plate will do the same job, just put a chain on it to keep it with the bottle and remove from the pipe to get direct heat to your kettle.

LS

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
hi thanks for that . Still very worried about using gas bottles just how do you empty those blue ones without a tap ? can you reverse fill them thro a regulator with water ? as even after standing them upside down i was supprised just how much gas still seemed to be in one I drive it off by filling with water .

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
ilan said:
.... just how do you empty those blue ones without a tap ? can you reverse fill them thro a regulator with water ?
Please don't take this as the gospel truth, but I'd use it normally until no more gas comes out to the appliance that you are using. Then loosen the top fitting a little bit until you can hear the last of the gas escaping - this would need to be carried out away from any sources of ignition and in a very well ventilated area. Once you can remove the whole top fitting, then revert to the water filling.
The idea behind the regulator is to prevent gas bottle using customers from becoming Darwin Award Winners, hence you can't reverse fill them through the reguator.

ATB

Ogri the trog

queeg9000

Forager
Apr 24, 2006
Caldicot, South Wales
Hello Ilan,

I found an old gas bottle this morning, whilst foraging along the coast, it still had some LPG in it, so I took alond a big adjustable spanner and slowly loosened the top, until it started hissing gas. Took my time over this, and it was very windy, so nice and airy, eventually pulled out the fitting completely, and emptied the last of the LPG out, not the safest method I know, but it was well away from anyone and anything, and went well.

I took mine home to make a simple brazier for now, cut the top off with an angle grinder, then cut the square holes in the base section, to allow air to flow, I'll add some handles and a grid on the top, then I can use it for cooking on.

Here's a picture of it in action.....

Brazier.jpg

I have been thinking about doing this with an old tank I have , I cant get the valve off it though , tried to turn it either way , I could bash it off with a universal tool but i am worried about it going bang so it just sits there :( , I will get round to it one day though.

queeg9000

Forager
Apr 24, 2006
Caldicot, South Wales
Singeblister,

the bottle i found had the valve intact, but a nice big adjustable spanner, and a whack with a piece of wood loosened it up, then very slowly loosen it, in the end I managed to get the thing out completely, and let all the remaining gas out. As i said before, it was on the coast and very windy, so the gas dispersed nicely.

I gave it a good sluice with some water before attacking it with the angle grinder, and it went well.

Just as long as you find a well ventilated area, and go slowly slowly, you should be okay, but be careful........... :(

queeg9000 said:
Singeblister,

the bottle i found had the valve intact, but a nice big adjustable spanner, and a whack with a piece of wood loosened it up, then very slowly loosen it, in the end I managed to get the thing out completely, and let all the remaining gas out. As i said before, it was on the coast and very windy, so the gas dispersed nicely.

I gave it a good sluice with some water before attacking it with the angle grinder, and it went well.

Just as long as you find a well ventilated area, and go slowly slowly, you should be okay, but be careful........... :(

I will do it at some point :) but I am so accident prone if it could go boom it probably will :eek: sure it will be fine I read somewhere a guy chopped into one with a grinder could smell gas and it didn't go up :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE