G mills Patriot Bushcrafter Reveiw

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Well done - an excellent knife review of what looks like an excellent knife! I like the way you made it educational with some good knife craft - the light batonning to overcome the short grind, for example. All techniques were well executed and I like the double deep depression on the handle.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I think maybe Gary has pulled his socks up a little since he asked me to take a look at one of his knives a year ago. I won't say what I thought of it, but my friendly assistance (which was asked for by the way!) ran to a couple of sides of A4.

Still not my cup of tea from, but that's just me I guess ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There are many folks on the forum who for one reason or another do not access youtube.

Some simple photos of the knife would be appreciated.

cheers,
Toddy

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
I enjoyed watching the review Josh goodjob
Pics would be good in the OP, give people a taster :D

What was the edge retention like?

Cheers Tony,
ill get some pics sorted next time i take him out, As for edge retention i beleive Garys H&T is about 58HRC, the low grinds mean less wearing and more strenght, so it holds its edge slightly longer than say a higher grind in the same steel, it was razor sharp when i started using it, after all the carving and battoning it cold still shave my arms.
due to prefrence i prefer a higher grind like an enzo or northwest, however the versitility and solidity of this knife has realy impressed me, it also pays to have that extra bit of length on the blade, means it can hack and gives it the ability to batton through larger logs easyer without comprimising too much in fine detailed work. like i said in the video i am indeed most impressed with Garys fit and finish, far behond what i hoped for.

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
I think maybe Gary has pulled his socks up a little since he asked me to take a look at one of his knives a year ago. I won't say what I thought of it, but my friendly assistance (which was asked for by the way!) ran to a couple of sides of A4.

Still not my cup of tea from, but that's just me I guess ;)

Yeah I've noticed some improvements lately too, looks like you gave some good advice. I've seen some of his older knives owned by students..... :eek::yuck:

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
point is Dave, although Garys new to making hes certinatly stepping up with the best in Stock Removal, Garys service was brilliant, the way the knife was presented upon arrival was a wonderful touch aswell. hes also coming up with his own designs, not just copying those of others. i consider them to be somwhat hidden Gems, relativly new and unheard of, but very nicley made. he may be new, but hes putting a huge ammount of thought into his work and the result shows.

Last edited:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Is there anything you didn't like about the knife Josh? Anything you would like to see done differently or better?

It's a good review, but one thing that springs to my mind on watching it, is the rivet holding the belt loop on. Does that contact the handle inside the sheath? The knife looks pretty highly buffed out, how is the spine for striking steels? Are the stitches on the sheath recessed into a grove to avoid abrasion?

Oh, and how much did you pay for the knife?

Last edited:

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
Maybe the better way would be to do a passaround review, it would get a more rounded review from different people looking at it from different angles and would stop the possibility of it being biased.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Maybe the better way would be to do a passaround review, it would get a more rounded review from different people looking at it from different angles and would stop the possibility of it being biased.

Probably not a bad idea. The knife does look pretty good to me, but I doubt it's perfect. Some balance and even handed criticism of the knife can help the maker improve and also give the impression that the review is a very honest warts 'n all opinion. Light, fair and honest criticism is a good thing in any review and rarely detracts from the commercial aspects of the product. Small criticisms wont put people off buying something, if anything they add to buyer confidence, because you feel the review is honest and frank.

Looks like a very fair and erudite review to me. Josh would have said if there was anything he PERSONALLY did not like about the knife.

I have one of Gary's folders and it a fantastic little knife.

Josh is in fact very knowledgeable about knives, so give the bloke a break, why is everyone so suspicious all the time, at the end of the day the knife is made of 01 tool steel, micarta and some liners, as long as its heat treated properly and assembled correctly it will in nearly every case be fine, it's not rocket science.

Could some of Josh's critics pleased put up a video review please, I would dearly like to see their efforts.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE