frying pan or hotplate/griddle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Wondering if the use of a hot plate (i.e. piece of steel cut to shape) is a viable alternative to a frying pan whilst out and about (obviously not for light weight stuff)

Does anyone use one?

pteron

Acutorum Opifex
Nov 10, 2003
Wiltshire
pteron.org
We used a Ronnie Sunshines griddle at the moot. Worked reasonably well, could take loads of bacon!

It is cast iron and I spent a bit of time seasoning it first. (Followed the tutorial by British Red on here)

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I am thinking of making one that will fit sugly over one of my small fire grills.

Am I going to poison myself if i use mild steel plate??

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I was in Ikea on Sat and looking at my trolley stupidly didn't pick up the small cast iron frying skillit for £6.99. Kicking myself and can't think of a good excuse to go back and pick one up.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I always take a cast griddle on fixed camps...
SDC14286.jpg

Ridged on one side and smooth on the other.

Simon

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I have a small griddle that I take out with me sometimes, as I like a heavier frying pan & it's great when car camping, like at the moot. I thought about a hotplate for my money stove but the problem is the oil, which burns if it drips into the fire or the fire gets to the top of the plate. The griddles have raised sides to keep oil from food away from the flames, so a home made hotplate would need this as well; like the hotplates in burger vans have to remove the oil.

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
No mate you will be Ok with mild steel just clean off any surface gunk first, you can get mild steel frying pans (called black steel).

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE