French press obsession?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Diamond Dave

Mar 2, 2006
Ilkeston
Yes, the one sold by David Cantebury. (Pot itself was cheap but postage fee and customs fee made my heart bleed but I just had to have it).
Thanks for that, I’ve been after one but nobody sells them in the UK and I agree the cost from the states is a problem.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
In dry areas they are a less good idea than other options because less easy to clean. Surely no problem in Finland though.

The GSI ultralight Java Drip is also a nice idea. 11 g is indeed pretty light for a coffee filter. I mainly use instant coffee though.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
"Clean?" How does it get "dirty"? Coffee + boiling water was never "dirty" in my kitchen. The patina from the coffee bean oils separated my drink from the glass. I'll wash out the coffee bean fragments to avoid clogging screens and filters but dirty? Never.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Yeah, french press is easy to clean even outside. Fill pot with water (from river or lake or bottle) swirle around a bit and whisk content into the bushes.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Me too, even in the kitchen.
Wouldn't try that with water that I carried around in bottles.

If you don't rinse it properly you get a nice coloured microbiological zoo.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I have 3 of the Lagostina glass ones. One or another gets used about daily. One big and two smaller. With boiling water and repeated use, I never would have imagined that rancid would be a concern. The neat thing is that I can ask a visitor if they would like tea or coffee. I can do three drinks if needs be.
I'm running a big dishwasher every week or more often so everything gets a run. I like the shiny glass.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Blimey!
I have totally forgot to mention that I use a tool to scrape out the used grinds before rinsing. I use the Kupilka long spork:
kupilka_cutlery_spork225_hand.jpg

After scraping there is not much to rinse out. Kupilka is soft enough not to break the glass press. My girlfriend once used a metal spoon and managed to break the glass jar of my Bodum french press.

Reactions: Erbswurst

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
Thanks for that, I’ve been after one but nobody sells them in the UK and I agree the cost from the states is a problem.
Amazon UK has dumped some products on my doorstep in Texas for a modest cost! Won't help with VAT but, at least that might cut the shipping cost some!

Diamond Dave

Mar 2, 2006
Ilkeston
Amazon UK has dumped some products on my doorstep in Texas for a modest cost! Won't help with VAT but, at least that might cut the shipping cost some!
Hi Sidpost, are you saying you have one of these coffee presse for sale? If that is the case can you let me know the cost..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE