French Forest overnighter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

garethw

Settler
School holidays oblige.... its time to take the offspring out on a trip or two.
Our local village forest is perfect for such trips, being quite extensive at around 570 acres, yet only a short walk from home.
A couple of years ago we found a perfect clearing that we have used for overnighters on a few occasions each year since. It is perfect for hammock camping, having several perfectly placed trees. Is on a hill so we don't have any risk of flooding, and is fairly well shaded, with oaks, beech, birch and hornbeam trees.
Its is about a 20 to 30 minute hike from the house, which means we can take a few luxury items. (It is uphill all the way though)
We are surrounded by thick deciduous forest filled with deer, foxes and owls...

camp01.jpg

My Lowe Alpine pack ready to roll...

camp07.jpg

Alex with my US army Hellcat pack.... I wish I could carry mine with such apparent ease.

camp05.jpg

My set up... DD hammocks tarp, Warbonnet hammock with Snugpack underquilt. Bliss!!!

camp04.jpg

Got to keep them well trained. Alex sets up his DD Travel Hammock and a (rare untorn) DD Camo tarp.

camp02.jpg

Camp finally set...

camp06.jpg

A tree nicknamed the 'Throne'...

camp03.jpg

Alexis Mears in action....

camp08.jpg

Alex Van Damme showing off....

Dinner was cooked over an open fire which actually burned most of the night... (it was doused with water and covered with moss and leaves, the next morning before leaving). A nice quick meal of pasta and pesto sauce was just the ticket.
After a really good night's sleep and a breakfast of coffee and cereals we headed back down the hill to home... We left only foot prints... Oh and my twig tripod for cooking over the fire for next time..

cheers
Gareth

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
First of all the Alex Van Damme photo needs go be caption competition

Seconds of Alex Van Damme I hope the docs can put you back together.

Looks like a stunning woods and a good time. Very nice setups Thanks for sharing.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Lovely report, looks like a good time in a lovely spot. Nice to hear of folk tidying u after themselves too, always deserves extra brownie points as far as I'm concerned. Cheers for letting us see.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE