Fox predating Barn Owls

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I came across a kill site today, I couldn't take any decent pictures unfortunately, but it was definately a mound of Barn Owl feathers from a Fox kill or near kill, as the feathers of the primary's I found had been bitten off at the base. The feathers were distinctively a Barns, with the leading edge of the primary's having the 'teeth' and soft upper parts. I'd recognise them anywhere from having had one as a lad.

I've never heard of a fox taking an owl before, and this was in the middle of a field with no cover. The fact that it was a Barn Owl too amazes me, as I have never seen one in out local woods. Plenty of Tawny's and some Littles on the fringes, but never a Barn, and I know these woods very well.

Hopefully 'ole Renard hasn't finished the entire local population off with that one kill :(

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Could it have been road kill?

Nope, no roads in the vicinity at all. It was in the middle of a field about 200 yards from woodland with several fields and hedges all on the other sides. The feathers left had that hit pattern you get when the bird is taken live and flaps alot.

Nope, no roads in the vicinity at all. It was in the middle of a field about 200 yards from woodland with several fields and hedges all on the other sides. The feathers left had that hit pattern you get when the bird is taken live and flaps alot.

There's always roads within traveling distance of a foxes den:rolleyes: Foxes regularly take foodstuff back to their den so this is not unusual in any way especially at this time of year. I don't understand what you mean by "hit patttern", can you explain as I've never heard about this, just curious...

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
May have been a sick or injured owl which was very weak and hunting in the field but was unable to get away fast enough, or another possibility is poison, possibly ate a poisoned prey item such as rat poisoned by farmer, and the bird was suffering symptoms when nailed by old red.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
A Goshawk will take a barn owl - in fact it is major preditor of barn owls. I have also heard of a perigrine taking one but have never seen it or had it confirmed. I would only expect a fox to carry carrion or take an injured bird.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
An escaped Barn Owl did cross my mind, this or a sick bird seems the most plausable explanation. It certainly was not a road accident as the bird was taken in the spot I found the feathers. When I talk about hit pattern, I mean the feather pattern left when a live bird is taken and puts up a fight, this was not the foxes plucking ground as it took the bird elsewhere to do that, I lost the trail of feathers close to a farm and didn't want to go any further as I would have been intruding.

Most of the feathers at the original site where down and a few breast feathers, only three primaries had been removed and the ends had been chewed out, so not a bird strike. I'm guessing that the fox originally grabbed the right wing which caused the owl to flap and fight, so making the vast amount of feather mess.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE