Found bones buried in the ground but what are they off

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andynic

Forager
Jan 3, 2011
Keswick,cumbria
Bit scary eh! If that was down by Stachiomans place, I'd not be going down there again.... EVER. I'd also be dialling the rozzers.

It does look amazingly human. Was the round part of that socket about the size of a golf ball? If so, ooooooooh!

It was more the size of a large marble

andynic

Forager
Jan 3, 2011
Keswick,cumbria
Too big for a sheep then. Better to be safe... inform the police.

There are other possibilities, but the way they are sticking out of the ground is not at all natural.

I thought it was possibly the farmer hiding something or something left over from Foot and mouth. its not a very busy area so i think noone will be there before i get a chance to get back tomorrow

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I thought it was possibly the farmer hiding something or something left over from Foot and mouth. its not a very busy area so i think noone will be there before i get a chance to get back tomorrow

Cool. Pull out the femur and get a pic with a ruler or something. I doubt it's human at that size though. Looks like the bare bones were pushed into the earth by someone and are not in their natural or original situ.

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
I dont think they look human, but its hard to tell. Either way they look old. I agree with everyone and if their is any concern let the police know. It will be interesting to find out either way.

Firelite

Forager
Feb 25, 2010
bedfordshire
Hi, I would hesitate to say that they are necessarily human, but remember you can't rely on size - babies and children end up in shallow graves too. You have to NOT disturb the scene and inform the police. they will arrange for SOCO and coroner's officer to be informed and will deal accordingly. A lot of bones get turned up by people digging in their gardens every year; many are not human and of, they those that are, they are often determined by a pathologist to be "BEYOND LIVING MEMORY". I have quite a bit of experience in this kind of thing (15 years in scenes of crime). The assessment of the bones has to be done by a professional, and there could be important archaeological evidence associated with the burial site. I would urge you to leave it to the experts and call the Police, show them the site and let them sort it. Good luck.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Would it be ok to wait till tomorrow or should i ring them now ?

From the size you've given, the femur is too far developed to be a human child and too small to be human adult. I think you will be safe to pull it out and take a picture. With the scale of large marble for the ball on the bone, it is far far more likely to be a domestic animal. They are not in situ and have been knocked into the ground long after decomposition.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Shesh, you have all been watching too much telly!

Id say sheep or calf

But do try to get the femur out....human ones are very distinctive

Firelite

Forager
Feb 25, 2010
bedfordshire
The decision making process is easy. Either you know it to be non-human - in whic case,no prob; or you don't know for sure. If you don't know for sure, leave it there and show the cops. The earlier the call, the better, but I would be impressed if anyone went to look tonight. Do let us all know the outcome if you find out though, please.

andynic

Forager
Jan 3, 2011
Keswick,cumbria
I have phoned the non-urgent line they said they are busy but will send someone out to interview me. Lol i have had a few drinks as well. Its a good hour walk to get there and i dont think i will be able to find it in the dark anyway so i hope they dont want to go out tonight.

andynic

Forager
Jan 3, 2011
Keswick,cumbria
Well they must be having a quite night they took me to the station and had a vet to come and look at the pics. Vet was fairly certain it was an animal as the femur had a "something something cannon somthing" I am gonna go back tomorrow and do some digging and get that femur our and measure it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE