Found a Tomahawk in the shed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Anyone know anything about this tomahawk manufacturer?

The marks state "Chillington" and "ar ax" just below.

05082009098.jpg

05082009100.jpg

Any tips on trying to make a handle for this? It looks like it could be a hidden tang type handle but I don't have a drill bit that long and it would be a bit of a wonky hole I think.:)

The handle bit is 5/8th wide by 1/4 thick.

Thanks in anticipation

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Cheers for that It does indeed look like the arpax axe:eek:, why didn't i think of that.

I needed cheering up a bit as I've just cracked a blade blank trying to straighten it.

The stacked leather sounds a great idea, I will have a look for an axe done like that. Is the steel any good to start with and is it worth doing?

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
http://www.nbcd.org.uk/images/arp/fire/arpax.jpg

http://www.nbcd.org.uk/arp/equipment/fire.asp

The 'ARPAX' was manufactured by the Chillington Tool Company Limited of Wolverhampton and is notable for its rubber handle, subject to a patent applied for in June 1938 and finally granted in December 1939. [8]
Being encased in a tough rubber, the handle was claimed to be less liable to catch fire or break than the traditional wooden types, and would also protect the user from potentially fatal shocks if he or she happened to accidentally cut through electric cables. To this end, moulded into the handle was the comforting phrase 'TESTED 20.000 VOLTS'.

Great historic find.

:)

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
Barney, when I did my one and only stacked leather handle I used a £1 belt from a charity shop, it'd take a few belts for an axe handle though, cos you cant use all of the part with buckle holes, you can get belt blanks with no holes on ebay, last time I looked they were about £3 and you can use the whole length. I'd think that you'd have to use a wood or antler bolster and pommel though, wouldn't you? Cool find BTW.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Thanks for the tips guys, my mind is made up. Due to the stunning photos I will try to reproduce the handle shape as true to the original as possible.:)

I have some veg tanned through dyed black leather I think I will use that with Buffalo horn and brass end bits.

I'm out tomorrow, away Friday and Saturday back knackered Sunday so will do it up on Monday evening Pics up Tuesday.:D

A Plan.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thats a great find.

Ive got a mini tomahawk but its a big socket type...too small to be a firemans axe

nor any marks upon it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE