Footwear - what do you go for?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
J

JeremyH

What do you wear?
Just wondering if anybody has any better options then:
Brasher Boots - high Ankle sold originally as Ranger Boots
and if wet Muck Boots neoprene/rubber - no - they don't smell..not sure why. Great in winter.
Wool or synthetic sox? I used to be a mix but now just go for wool.
Bear in mind I wear this kit for eight hours daily. :-?
Cheers
Jeremyh

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
Smartwool for Socks. Thats easy peasy :)

Boots, mostly personal prefrance.
Top of my head: Danner Acadia, Limmer original, and Vasque Sundowners come to mind.

Lots of used Lowa Mountain Boots popping up on ebay for around £50. Retail is around the £150 mark. They don't get much better.
Even Mr. Mears recomends them :wink:

I seem to collect inmformation on good kit, but never actually use it myself. :roll:
In reality I spend most of the winter in wellies. Either knee deep in animal shite, or in concrete.
Come summertime I use Surplus jungle boots, as I'm in salt water alot.

I'll get riddled for it, but I really like those long wool "fishermans" socks. When high on the hills with wet driving wind, they are like thermal gaiters!

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I'd secong Lowa boots ... get a good fitting pair and it's like walking on air ... and add a pair of sorbothane insoles and they are magic. Waterproof and nicely breathable.

Socks ... well, I am partial to silk liners!

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
I have, and use on nearly a daily basis a pair of Danner "Fort Lewis", black in colour, and all leather, and a pair of Matterhorn "Scout" which are brown both are gore tex lined and super comfortable, no leaks on either (the danners I have had for eight years and still as good as new.
IMHO these are the best that money can buy, and so they should be at the price.
You mentioned socks, for winter use "white artic socks: extreme cold weather, these are issued to Royal Marine commandos, I cannot stand cold feet, since I have been wearing these I have never suffered this problem.
These are available from Silvermans of London.

www.silvermans.co.uk

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Smart wool socks are fantastic, been using them for a couple of years now when out walking but if you suffer from blisters the 1000 mile socks are comfortable and work a treat - they've got 2 layers one that moves with your boot and the other that moves with your foot.

Boot wise I've got a set of Meindls, hard wearing and very comfortable.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I use standard british army assault boots most of the year... I find them fine aslong as you wear comfortable socks.... I wear lighter boots in the summer ;-)

Ed

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
Nothing beats scarpa boots - had the same pair for years - with proper care they last forever!

P

Pathos

I have to second the Scarpa boots. I have wide feet and wear a pair of Scarpa Rangers which although are reccomended for low level use, I wear them a lot in Snowdonia mountains in the snow, bogs etc. never a problem. Can be a tad slippy if you are not careful though.

Paul

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
For Hiking I use Brasher Hillmaster Classics. They're Great. When I'm working outdoors or scruffing around I use Brit army assault boots - tough as old.....well, boots! :-D

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
I'll second the Scarpa Rangers, can't compare then against other boots mentioned in the thread. Probably not suitable for Crampons, but on Islay you'll not be worrying about that I suspect, but they do a great job locally and on the Brecon Beacons. Nice and light, seems quite waterproof.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Obviously you Scarpa lovers havent had any problems with them, I have and their aftersales service is non existant
BUYER BEWARE
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
Chopper said:
Obviously you Scarpa lovers havent had any problems with them, I have and their aftersales service is non existant
BUYER BEWARE
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

You can't be wearing them correctly :wink:

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
scarpas = good!

meindls = better!

:cool:

though i'm tending to use approach shoes for more and more stuff.

cheers, and.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Yup my meindls have done a quite a few miles so far and still hardly worn. For approach shoes I've got a set of Merrell Chameleons, most comfortable shoes I've ever worn, trouble is I havent even had them a year and the fabricss wearing through big style, don't think they're going to last much longer - you would have thought for £60-£70 that they would last longer than a year!

D

Dutchman

sargey said:
scarpas = good!

meindls = better!

Lowa = fine!

Hanwag = the best!

I like full leather (no GTX), with as little as possible seams, I use
Snowseal for waterproofing (warm up boots in oven first).

But boots are like a backpack, must try them on before you buy,
the fit is the most importent I think.

JohnB

Nov 26, 2003
Lancs. / West Yorks.
Does anyone have experience of Lundhags boots (rubberized foot)? I think they'd be pretty good in the peat bogs near where I live, but I don't know how resilient the rubber would be to scuffing on rough Millstone Grit.

J

Jamie

The most comfortable boots I have ever worn are the Le Chameau Morvan's . I got them cheaper than on that site (only used the site to show what they look like).
Cant recommend them enough!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE