Clothing Advice - what system do you use?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nedkelly

Mar 20, 2014
jhbasvdmnxm
Hi people,

Putting my kit together again as not been out in a while.

Like everyone else I'm getting sick of buying things only to sell on for less, I really can't afford it.

So Im now looking at my clothing,

I live on the west of scotland so mainly mild and wet with some bitter winds and low temps.

When out Im usually hillwalking exposed through the day and camping out by the fire at night.

Recently becoming attracted to more natural/traditional materials.

So far I have boots and thats about it, Id like to know about what systems work for you people rather than read marketing nonsense with respect to layers/ gore tex/ pile/ pertex etc

Im on a tight budget initially however will have more cash to upgrade as i go, what do you suggest?

:You_Rock_

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
I'do say the best quality breathable or waterproof outer you can afford, and then layers underneath. It shouldn't really matter what they are, but using cotton is pretty good. Layers are key as they trap air between them, so it keeps you warm, and they are better than one thick layer. No marketing guff, just what works for me.

That's my two penneth anyway.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
more details would be good ned as it depends how you do your walking how far etc????

i walk hard and fast so i use a synthetic base layer with cotton tshirt, this helps to stop rubbing on your back, i add a light weight waterproof jacket then the liner, thats all i use when im walking and thats when its gibbers. i add to that a buffalo shirt, wind stopper and another thermal top, shemag and wooley hat if needed, cotton inner gloves and leather waterproof outer gloves to use as needed when i stop for a brew or for the night.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Tabbing, exposed, Gortex or Paramo over wool.
In the woods or static, Oilskins/Wax cotton or Ventile over wool.

Best.

da C.

caorach

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
UK
I spend about 100 days per year out in Ireland or on Lewis/Harris. I've tried it all and have several £450 jackets from the likes of Musto, and in the end I've migrated to the mil surplus windproof smock and a surplus goretex jacket.

The key to the windproof smock, and you might know this, is that if you wash some waterproofing into it then it is acceptably waterproof (I've done maybe 2 - 4 hours in the rain in mine without getting wet so it is a little more than showerproof) for many conditions and because it is just poly/cotton it is very breathable so you are usually drier, warmer and more comfortable than in a completely waterproof jacket. When the conditions get really bad or there is constant heavy rain then you put the surplus goretex layer UNDER the smock. This seems mad, if you've never done it then it will not make sense, but it works well in the real world. The only slight catch, I suppose, is that you occasionally have to stop to put the goretex layer on, or take it off, but this is no big deal unless you are in an awful hurry to get somewhere.

The poly/cotton windproof smock dries really quickly so almost as soon as the rain stops you can take the goretex layer off again and you are back to a very breathable solution.

The surplus goretex jackets are mostly just light shells with no pockets, or very few, because your pockets are all in the windproof smock and, of course, you keep them all when you put the goretex layer UNDER. The shells pack small and are light and I just roll mine up and stick it on top of the rucksack.

It only costs you £50ish (or much less if you bide your time and buy very carefully) to try this system if you bid well or buy sensibly on ebay and if you hate the jacket then you can sell the stuff back for about what you paid for them, so it's basically free to try. If you don't like the cammo colours then buy the desert tan cammo and dye it brown. Just keep in mind that this is a clothing system as many people who don't like surplus stuff don't catch on to the "system" part of the game and so don't make it work.

For a thermal layer I wear a Buffalo Special 6 shirt which I like, or Paramo Trail shirts in milder conditions. With trousers I destroy them a lot and in the past rarely got more than 2 weeks out of a pair but recently (say last 3 - 4 years) I've started wearing Harkila trousers and they are the best I've tried plus I don't destroy them at a rate of 2 pairs a month.

allfatherodin

Oct 24, 2011
hitchhiking europe
Corach, you described the exact system i'm interested in at the moment! Down to the dying of the desert smock idea! Hah.

At first I was looking at full on hard shell goretex (so basically waterproof smock) with pit zips as I get hot easily... But prices are high, and i'd likely still get too hot, not to mention I plan on doing some rough bush work coming up in the spring so it would likely rip. Then I caught the idea you proposed, using your British kit (me being Canadian) as you guys seem to have some good mil stuff thats pretty cheap on ebay.
Now i'm looking into a USGI poncho, as it's supposed to have good air flow while acting as a shelter, among other things.

Unfortunately, to ship a smock or even that light goretex shell over here it would cost me at LEAST the same price as the item itself, which made me quite sad. It makes the system seem a bit impractical as i'm trying to cut costs. I'm scoping ebay and countless military websites to nab myself a deal, so waiting on that.

In the end I might end up with the windproof poncho, goretex thin shell, and a lightweight poncho for the downpours. I'll likely get or make gaiters unless I go with the rain pants as well.

nedkelly

Mar 20, 2014
jhbasvdmnxm
Thanks for all the ideas guys Im getting more and more interested in ventile, pile and cotton garments.
For downpours - the DPM waterproofs is what I'm getting i think as all i can really afford.

Baselayer - Merino
Mid layer - flannel shirt/wool jumper
Outer (when not pouring down) - ?????? I like the smock but would prefer something not too military, and something that won't melt near the fire?
Waterproof - DPM

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE