Food packing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
Simple question:
Any useful tips on storing food in your rucksack (I've been using tupperware but it doesn't mold well)

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i tend to use mini cool bags (such as for 6 beer cans) for perishables, and ziplock bags for everything else. the ziplocks are double bagged and stored in a cloth drawstring bag

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
Thanks Graham, any idea where i can get large zip bags, I've been in most of the supermarkets but the ones I've seen are tiny?

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I've used ziplock bags too, when I was on Dartmoor with Leon & Neil this summer. Mine measures aprx. 20x25cm ... bit smallish - so I suggest going for anything about A4 paper size if you can find them in the supermarkets.

A smaller one works, but there's a chance you tear the plastic, or not everything fits in it. I repacked this package in a transparent bin liner and twisted the top and taped it to the back. Think it was a bit of an overkill, but it kept the lot dry - which was my aim.

Ration / contents / idea etc. borrowed from British Red :D (Thread must be here somewhere)

My ration: (packed in ziplock bag ... which is poorly visible ... :rolleyes: )

Front:
PICT0350.jpg

Back:
PICT0349.jpg

Contents:
PICT0351.jpg

Looks not much, but I'm not a very big eater - and I have a separate bag with a brew kit (hot chocolate, with loads of sugar - I still got all my teeth Leon :D) and sweets, etc.
The big package in the bottom pic is sufficient for 2 persons, or 1 for 2 days, or 1 for lunch and dinner (if like eating stuff twice on the same day)

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
I had an old canoeing cag that turned into several small bags for rucksack use. The material is waterproof but the bags aren't (opening uses a drawcord). The biggest bag is for food. I'll dig some pictures out later.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE