Folder Pivot Repair

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
I've got this little folder and the pivot pin has come loose:( . One side of the pin will slowly work it's way out of the handle as seen in the close-up. I would like to keep this knife in service as it was passed on to me by my grandfather some years ago.
Is the pivot pin repairable or will it need to be replaced? Any advice on how to do so, where to look, would be most welcome.

B4

0000020.jpg

0000002w.jpg

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
If you can push the pin back fully, you could try centre punching the central pin to try and flare it out and grip but it may not work and will then leave you with an unsightly dink in the pin to boot! Otherwise, try and find a rod of the same diameter and totally replace the pin. Cut the pin so that it protrudes from each side for 5 mm or so and gently tap the rod with a hammer. Keep going, what you are trying to do is mushroom the rod over at either end, it is called peening. When it is fully mushroomed over, file it back flush. Countersinking the hole a little can help with making it stay put before peening the rod over.

Failing that, see what the returns policy is for Al Mar blades, I'm sure they'll have a website with customer support on it.

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
Thanks guys:) I think I'll have a go at fixing it myself, maybe practice peening a little first. The knife is an early Al Mar, about 25 years past warranty service but I may seek out pro repair if I botch it up.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
As it's so old, Al Mar may be interested in fixing it anyway just to say thier knives last a lifetime....
Might be worth an email?

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE