Flu virus, now even I'm worried!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Please remember he is Staying in said room.

No need for vitamin suplments as will be able to grow fresh veg on .... shall we say byproducts!!!!.

My brother and did try this for 3 weeks. We had planned on a whole year but found we had drank all the meths within 3 weeks.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
One disturbing piece of news that I heard today on the T.V. was that most of the people with the flu that have died (or as doctors like to say "experienced a negative outcome") have been young and healthy. Not old and sick. This was a trait of the 1918 pandemic, and the reverse of the norm.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Some people may think that our preparation is a waste and that we are being alarmist, I can only say that these people are right-until they're wrong. And the consequences of them being wrong are greater than the consequences of us being wrong.

So there you have it, If the "Scaremongerers" are wrong you can all have a good laugh at them, if you are wrong though do you think you will be as forgiving if they come around to your place and have a laugh at you.

Probably not.

I think it starnge that "it" is still being dismissed when "it" is happening, a few years ago the H5N1 raised hackles when it was mentioned, now this H1N1 is on the scene there is a high probability that it will get on with H5N1 and together become something else, just "maybe", maybe they won't.

Time will tell

xylaria

So there you have it, If the "Scaremongerers" are wrong you can all have a good laugh at them, if you are wrong though do you think you will be as forgiving if they come around to your place and have a laugh at you.

Probably not.

Anyone that can crack jokes that can get me snorting with laughter, while I choke on some swine of a illness is more than welcome. I want to die laughing, not live in fear.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Oh for heavens sake, swine flu..........schmein pooh!! .....Don't panic Mr Mainwaring.
Everyone's started wetting their pants about Swine flu, it's ridiculous, and the press don't help. Be clean and wash your hands. It's no worse than normal flu and if you're going to cark it from swine flu, you'd probably have carked it from normal flu too......run around...run around...flap your arms. A load of old hysteria. Of course people will die but how many people are there in the world. Be hygenic and take care and no problems will befall you. Complete over -hype from the media. This time next month, nobody will be talking about it.......not even the press.......... You heard it here first. :rolleyes:

Sainty

Nomad
Jan 19, 2009
St Austell
Oh for heavens sake, swine flu..........schmein pooh!! .....Don't panic Mr Mainwaring.
Everyone's started wetting their pants about Swine flu, it's ridiculous, and the press don't help. Be clean and wash your hands. It's no worse than normal flu and if you're going to cark it from swine flu, you'd probably have carked it from normal flu too......run around...run around...flap your arms. A load of old hysteria. Of course people will die but how many people are there in the world. Be hygenic and take care and no problems will befall you. Complete over -hype from the media. This time next month, nobody will be talking about it.......not even the press.......... You heard it here first. :rolleyes:

Well said Mr Rain. Couldn't agree more although swine flu doesn't make we wet my pants, sleeping in my hammock in freezing cold temperatures tends to do that. :D

Martin

Boston973

Feb 3, 2009
Mass
I work in a hospital and have talked to Docs about this and even attended meatings. So far there has only been one death in the US from the Swine flu and that was a mexican toddler who had symptoms for two weeks before being treated and by the time he got attention he died of dehydration. out of the 30 cases in Mass only one was even hospitalized and he got out after two days.

So far most people here at least agree that its not nearly as bad as the media portrays it.

But any nurse that visits family abroad after being exposed needs to be talked to.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Anyone that can crack jokes that can get me snorting with laughter, while I choke on some swine of a illness is more than welcome. I want to die laughing, not live in fear.

Ah bless, who's "living in fear" I'm certainly not, I'm having a great time, have a couple of great hobbies and a lot of good friends, no need to "live in fear"

I hope you have the chance to die laughing, not drowning in your own bodily fluids as many who dies of the Spanish flu did.

A very interesting

I read the following a while back and it sounds pretty good to me.

A very interesting discussion at lunch time on radio two today, about 13:30 try http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/jeremy-vine/

SURVIVALISTS

He who fails to prepare for the night, fails to prepare for the dawn.

I am a survivalist and by nature a survivalist is an OPTIMIST. I do
not have one pessimistic bone in my body. If what I just said sounds
odd to you then you are not yet a survivalist and you do not understand the modern survivalist at all. It has been very difficult to
communicate to the public and the mass communications media, the concept of an optimistic, hopeful survivalist.
A fireman is a fireman, not because he believes everything will burn,
but because he believes much can be saved. Doctors don't believe in
death, they believe in life, and a survivalist is not a survivalist
because he believes everything must be destroyed and everyone must
die, he believes that life can be saved, if people of good
will are prepared. A fireman does not start fires, a doctor does not make
disease and a survivalist does not make disaster. Crime, disease,
war, revolution, fire, flood, periodic financial collapse and famine are
the results of nature and the nature of man and unfortunately are not
within the power of anyone on this earth to prevent.
We all know that the sun will set each day, leaving us in darkness
and we all know that warm summers give way to cold winters and that we
can do nothing to keep the sun from setting or the cold winds from
coming, does this make us pessimistic? I think not! So then, why is the
survivalist called a pessimist when he makes ready to face events
that are just as much a part of history and nature as the sunset and the
changing of the seasons.

Another misconception is that survivalists
are predicting world disaster. On the contrary, we seem to be THE
OPTIMISTIC MINORITY that is predicting world survival. We are hard
pressed to find any well recommended historians, economists,
political scientists, sociologists or military strategists that can come up
with a scenario that gives even a fifty-fifty chance of avoiding a large
scale catastrophe, yet we survivalists dare to be OPTIMISTIC about the
future.
We survivalists do not need to predict the probability of disaster
anymore than we need to predict the sun setting.
Those who criticize survivalists, are like men who refuse to look at
a calendar, in the hope that through self-imposed ignorance they can
keep from aging another year. "You survivalists will be disappointed if
we don't have a world cataclysm." Here is another accusation that is
pure B.S. and I could not think of a milder phrase to describe it. We
survivalists have loved ones we don't want to see hurt or killed, we
have homes we don't want to see destroyed, we are not fools to think
that just because we are survivalists a world cataclysm would be fun
for us or that we would not experience danger, loss, hunger, injury,
cold oreven despair and death. We have spent time and money to improve our chances for survival and recovery from disaster, but we would have a great celebration if some day we could be assured that we had wasted our time. No, we will not be disappointed if there is no disaster to survive, anymore than the Red Cross is disappointed when there are no floods and storms or the man who buys an insurance policy is disappointed when his house faiIs to burn down. It may be said
that the survivalist would much prefer the pleasant (but unlikely)
surprise of being wrong to the (probable) deadly rude awakening that the
nonsurvivalist will face if he is wrong.

So, you see the survivalist can not lose because his survival
preparations will be of value regardless of what the future has in
store. In time of crisis, those who have not prepared to turn to
each other, will turn on each other.
It is most regrettable indeed, that many people consider
survivalists as a threat and regard them with suspicion and even hostility. This attitude is logically indefensible and is rooted in the
nonsurvivalists own sense of fear and guilt. Subconsciously, the nonsurvivalist may hate the survivalist for reminding him of how fragile his lifestyle is.
Now, let's get the facts turned around right. THE MOST DANGEROUS
PEOPLE IN SOCIETY TODAY ARE THE NONSURVIVALISTS
. Every person who has not made provisions for surviving without food, water, fuel and other essential needs from the outside, is a mortal danger to his neighbors. What will a man do when he and his family are freezing, hungry, thirsty, sick and starving? He may ask or beg his neighbors for help, but when they have no extra fuel, food, water or medicine to give, will he just go back home to die with his wife and kids? What do you think? We survivalists who stock up on food and other supplies, now do a favor to society because what we now buy is replaced on the shelves, so there will be that much more available in an emergency. We survivalists
won't be looting and killing for food. We won't be a burden on the medical
facilities or a danger to the police. Since we will be able to turn
to each other, we will not need to turn on anyone and we may be able to
help at least some. Survival preparation should be regarded as a social obligation, one that every individual owes to his family and community and his nation. The nonsurvivalist is simply a poor and irresponsible citizen.
So the reality is, that survivalists are optimistic, self-reliant
individuals, who cannot help but see the imperative of preparing for
the worst possible events, while hoping sincerely, that they won't
happen.
Today's survivalist is an asset, to his community and to the world
and should be proud to be called SURVIVALIST.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
At this point I'm going to intervene and state clearly that this is a Bushcraft forum and we actually have a guideline that states,

"5 - Forum subject matter
Some subjects should be avoided on bushcraft uk. Firstly any subject that the moderators say is not appropriate should not be discussed. Particular problem subjects where moderator guidance should be followed are those such as politics, survivalism (often becomes extreme), legal systems, TV shows and criticism of people, religion - this list is not all inclusive and members are expected to follow guidance given by moderators and other members that know the ropes.

from the list here
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45

Wrong forum for this type of rant Windstoo. Please desist.

Cheers,
Toddy

Sainty

Nomad
Jan 19, 2009
St Austell
We're all doomed! The end of the world is coming. Whose fault is it and where do I claim my compensation. Will there be any celebrities?

Ooh, that sounds like a great idea for a reality TV show. 'Celebrity Quarantine' A TV show where various has beens, wannabees or neverwillbees are diagnosed with swine flu and are all locked together in a room for six weeks to discuss their impending demise.

On each show, one of the celebrities could undergo an invasive and unpleasant medical procedure that has been voted on by a public telephone vote. The ultimate winner could be awarded a walk on part in the next series of Casualty or even be given the 'honour' of representing the UK at the next Eurovision Song Contest.

Sounds like a winner to me. Don't forget, you saw it here first!!!

Martin

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Pratchett brought the four horsemen up to date, hunger, pollution, war and death.
Kind of seemed appropriate.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE