Is it time to move on from the sleeping bag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

davidpingu

Forager
Nov 3, 2012
Cwmbran
Hi guys, looking for some opinions.

My question in a nutshell is, sleeping bag or top quilt?

Ok so a little more information may be needed. I'm scared to order a top quilt because it's a new concept to me. I'm used to a sleeping bag but thats not really a good enough reason to dismiss a top quilt is it?!

So currently I have a 3 season M90 aircrew bag. It's warm but bulky at around 18.5 litres - 1900 grams and 22 x 50cm in compressed form.

I want something much smaller and lighter but just as warm. My Budget is around £150 so not massive.

So I've been looking at the Vango Venom 400 as the sleeping bag option - Comfort rating advertised at 2c, it packs to about half the size of my current bag so its tempting but then I'm wondering about whether a top quilt makes more sense and here are my reasons:

Does the area of the sleeping bag compressed underneath you actually have much value at all if I'm on a decent mat? Is that wasted material and weight?

I'm looking at the winter TQ from UK hammocks which for a similar price is advertised as being warmer than the sleeping bag I'm looking at.

Another thing to consider is I'm starting to get in to hammocking so although I'm primarily thinking of using this TQ for ground camping over the winter, it's one half of a proven hammock set up for the future.

Finally my other reasoning is I want to take my 5 year old daughter with me on a winter camp and I'm petrified at the thought of her being cold. I'm just wondering at 1.25 metres wide whether this quilt is a good idea if I need to cwtch in with her should she complain of cold? My plan is if she comes along, I'll stick with my M90 bag and give her the TQ. Then if she's cold I can open my bag and climb under the quilt with her.

So with all of these things to consider, what do you think I should do? Go with a sleeping bag or be brave and get the TQ from UK Hammocks?

Just to ask, can someone PLEASE give me the compressed dimensions of this TQ to help to further inform my decision? As you can imagine, lightweight gear is becoming an important consideration having to think about carrying 2 sleep mats and 2 sleeping bags or equivalent!!

Many thanks,

Dave

ShooTa

Oct 9, 2014
N Wales
im in a fairly similar position -- or should i say i will be
im using my snugpak sleeping bag and have a DIY UQ - my reasoning for not going TQ yet is should i need to go to ground i can do so.... without too much hassle. in a few more years who knows im sure ill be TQ'd up.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have used my TQ on the ground a few times. It's ok when the weather is ok but when it turns really cold, unless you are completely motionless, you get sudden gusts of cold air through the night.

For car camping in the winter, i'll stick to a fishing sleeping bag on the ground, for distance, i'll stick to my mountain hardware down bag on the floor.

Though I do like the look of thermarest sleeping bags that have no bottom insulation.

davidpingu

Forager
Nov 3, 2012
Cwmbran
Tartan Ferret thanks very much for going to the trouble. Really helps get some perspective. I do like the look of that quilt you've added the link to very much! It looks so versatile I think it should be perfect. Its a little more money then the UK hammocks one but then it does look so much more varied in how it can be used. It does seem that you get a lot more performance for your money from a quilt. I hear the comments about drafts but as the one linked would secure around the sleep mat I don't see it being an issue. For really cold camps I'd probably still use some kind of liner too so I think a quick draft isn't like to be an issue, speaking entirely hyperthetically of course!

Thanks again for all your comments everyone, it's been very helpful :)

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
I camp in hammocks most the time now and I have to say they I'd get a sleeping bag. Investing £150 in a decent sleeping bag (should be able to get a down one for that sort of money) is a smart move. They work in hammocks (you can get a DD underquilt for £45) and you have a sleeping bag for more general use. A top quilt is lovely so long as you have a lovely underquilt and all of a sudden it's very expensive and really only usable in a hammock. Do t know how much Alpkit down bags are going for at the mo but they are usually good value, if you can get one or something like it and a cheapish underquilt, your sorted.

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
Just incidently, I got a Carinthia Defence 4 sleeping bag for use with my hammock this winter. They have a central zip and get good reviews so I'm looking forward to using it soon, it cost about what you have to spend but someone on here was selling one new much cheaper, might be worth a look.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I'm a ground dweller and I've gone over completely to using a quilt. If you use it on the ground it needs to be wider than many hammock quilts though, otherwise you can get drafts especially if you move around a lot in your sleep.

davidpingu

Forager
Nov 3, 2012
Cwmbran
I had a look at the Carinthia bag but I'm after something much more lightweight. I'll still be using my M90 in a hammock I suspect and the quilt in the link looks to be perfect for suspending underneath. The quilt looks to be an excellent lightweight solution with great pack down size which is perfect for me if I'm taking daughter out where I'll be lugging a tent, 2 sleeping bags or equivalent and two sleep mats. For this set up primarily it still seems like an excellent option and very accommodating for pack size.

rg598

Native
I prefer sleeping bags, although I know a lot of guys who use quilts in winter successfully. Theoretically a quilt will be warm enough when used with a proper pad. The problem that comes up is that if it is not well secured to the pad (depends on the quilt), and you move around during the night, you can lose a lot of the accumulated warmth. While a sleeping bag doesn't offer much insulation int he areas that are fully compressed under your body, once you move, those areas loft up again, and retain the heat. I suppose my answer is that it depends on how you use it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE