Flashing ads on here

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greenwood

Forager
Jan 2, 2012
Wild Wiltshire
Got to say the flashing ads on the main screen before you log on are very suspect looking, if i had'ant gone to the trouble to look in this site and join, i may have never joined, there is also another link to free energy motor, this stays on the sceen and you cant click away from it! this also looks very suspect.
I 'm sure you need the money to keep up such a forum, to some it looks dodgy though.
Just my opinion you know, dont know what any one else feels?

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
It's save ;)
We are aware of it - and they are somewhat annoying. Tone is working out several things to generate money to keep up the forums (adds, etc), but also keep it friendly and not too much in the face. Some things will change, others might stay. We do appreciate your opinion, as this way we know what people think of it :)

J.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Every time I log on, there is the same ad telling me I am the millionth visitor or some such. Click now for my fantastic prize.

Amazing how they think a bare faced lie will make me trust them enough to click a link...

Still, if it pays for the site. All good.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
I for one was intrigued by your zero point module!!! It's exactly what I needed to power my stargate!!! Now I can travel to other galaxies all because you have three patents!!!!!!

Seriously though, I have got the 'log me in' ticked, I'm a paid member and due to some browser bug, I have to actually click the forum link before it's got me logged in and the ads disappear. The flashing one isn't very well placed, I hope it's generating a lot of money Tony :)

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
i think these dodgy "you've just won xyz" ads lower the tone of the site. Fortunately with Adblock on Safari Mac they are gone in a fraction of a second.

Question for Tony: do we need these ads to cover the cost of maintaining the forum? Don't membership subscriptions already do that? I'm not trying to be a smart alec here, just curious on the economics

Last edited:

mikeybear

Forager
Feb 15, 2010
UK
Question for Tony: do we need these ads to cover the cost of maintaining the forum? Don't membership subscriptions already do that? I'm not trying to be a smart alec here, just curious on the economics

Out of curiosity , what does it cost to run the site ?

Cheers

MB

PS hope this isn't a sensitive question .

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
I was thinking the same thing the other day. They're not really so bad and you'd have to be quite brainless to click on some of the dodgy sounding ones. As long as I don't get molested by sleezy web cam pop-ups, I don't really mind to be honest.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE