Fixing up an old cabin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Although I have not used one myself I have heard very good things about Lister generators (and simillar copies) as they run and run, are very quiet and efficiant.

Oh and places like india use them with little maintenance and running on vegetable oil.

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
demographic said:
Although I have not used one myself I have heard very good things about Lister generators (and simillar copies) as they run and run, are very quiet and efficiant.

Oh and places like india use them with little maintenance and running on vegetable oil.

If you're interested in Listers or "listeroids" as the Indian copies are called, have a look here www.utterpower.com though there are any number of resources on the net.

If you go down the route of a Lister (oid) you will find that you've got an engine that can run for many many years with few problems (provided you look after it) and best of all can burn used veggie oil, bio diesel, dinosaur diesel - in fact I've heard of one running on heating fuel oil.

You can also link them into a combined heat and power system as they are water cooled and can supply a reasonable quantity of hot water.

All of the farms up this way used to use them before electricity came.

George

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
george said:
If you're interested in Listers or "listeroids" as the Indian copies are called, have a look here www.utterpower.com though there are any number of resources on the net.

If you go down the route of a Lister (oid) you will find that you've got an engine that can run for many many years with few problems (provided you look after it) and best of all can burn used veggie oil, bio diesel, dinosaur diesel - in fact I've heard of one running on heating fuel oil.

You can also link them into a combined heat and power system as they are water cooled and can supply a reasonable quantity of hot water.

All of the farms up this way used to use them before electricity came.

George

One of my brothers was given a lister engine as an engagement present from his soon to be bride :D

Who says romance is dead ;)

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
I just checked out our local store and got a offer for a generator called
Hobbygen which has a Honda Engine.
It should cost me 5000 SEK

230 V 50 Hz / 12 V 16 A

Effect 2,2 kVA
Engine Honda GC160, 5hk, bensin driven
Volyome 2,5 L (0,7 l/h)
Noise 98 LWA (73 dBA/7m)
Weight 29 kg
Size 630 mm x 400mm x 410 mm

The too offered me a Diesel driven generator but it would have been around 10 000 SEK but the output was 3,5 kVA running time with one tank 11 hours.

I too have to take in consideration that I only want to run an engine when I need it.
It will be mainly running some powertools to make my life a little easier, I too want to be able to run a lap top if I need to check the mail or have a look here at the forum. I learned from you guys that will need a "surge protector" for that. How much do they cost? Will they work with this type of generator.

Talking to the shopkeeper he pointed me to another "Honda" which is thought to run computers without a surge protector directly from the generator. But they where already more expensive. It had a stable frequence it was a Hondo Ex7 or EU 10 i but they where 9000 SEK and 12000 SEK. For that I could buy already the Diesel driven generator from them.

I guess I go for the 5000 SEK deal if you guys dont talk me out of it. ;)
What do you think about the Hobbygen with the Honda engine?

thanks
Abbe

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
You can get surge protectors built in to multi sockets, I think they are reccomended for most PC use even for mains electricity, ours was less than £10 and has 5? outlets, and it comes with a guaruntee for equipment plugged into it.. I suppose there will be different grades and you may need a better quality one as a Genny is more likely to surge than the mains, but I don't think they are very expensive at all.

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
Abbe, it is possible to have a 12v ring main system for all your lighting and HiFi, Laptop, etc, running off 12v Batterys.

There is a Switching unit available with a Load Drop Sensor, that Automatically turns on 220/240v Generators when you turn on appliances (eg: Hair Dryers, Food Processors) and then shuts off the Generator when you turn off the appliance being used.

This gives you the best of both 12v and 220/240v Systems running through the same Ring Main.

In use, there is only a few seconds delay from turning on your Food Processor to it running.

Turning off the Generator is done Automatically when you switch off the appliance, and the Ring Main reverts back to 12v.

The best place to find out about this equipment would be a large Marine Chandlery, as this equipment is widely used in medium/luxury Yacht's.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Gravo said:
If you opt for a generator as your power source then I highly recommend Honda. I work in a machine rental business and Honda have the most reliable motors.
You'll need something in the region of 2-2.5Kw to run most power tools. Remember that the running load of a generator is approx. 80% of it's stated power rating i.e a 2Kw generator will give a constant output of about 1.6Kw.
Also be careful running a laptop from a generator of this size as it could 'surge' and damage the laptop. You can buy 'surge protectors' to stop this happening.
Good luck with the cabin!
I agree, honda make superb engines. I have a honda gennie and a honda wacker plate and both start instantly, even if they have been sitting for a long time..............Jon

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
bogflogger said:
Abbe, it is possible to have a 12v ring main system for all your lighting and HiFi, Laptop, etc, running off 12v Batterys.

There is a Switching unit available with a Load Drop Sensor, that Automatically turns on 220/240v Generators when you turn on appliances (eg: Hair Dryers, Food Processors) and then shuts off the Generator when you turn off the appliance being used.

This gives you the best of both 12v and 220/240v Systems running through the same Ring Main.

In use, there is only a few seconds delay from turning on your Food Processor to it running.

Turning off the Generator is done Automatically when you switch off the appliance, and the Ring Main reverts back to 12v.

The best place to find out about this equipment would be a large Marine Chandlery, as this equipment is widely used in medium/luxury Yacht's.

This sounds a good system, I know you have put on about large marine chandlery, but A URL would be really useful as well...Have been thinking of setting up a similar system at home using solar/battery/mains and genny if it is possible...

LS

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Thanks Bf,

CAT has some really good ideas, went there about 9 years ago...might have another trip some time.

LS

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Hi guys,
I switched plans and put the roofing of my cabin to a hold until next spring.
It looks like that the rain season will start with the coming weekend. The birch trees are turning yellow and talking to my neighbour he strongly adviced me not to rip off the roof yet so late in the season.

Instead I am planning to build an outhouse. I tried to make my life a bit easier and wanted to snatch a good blueprint from the net but didnt find a single drawing.
Has anyone of you guys more luck?
I would be really happy if I only have to build and not to draw that thing too!

Thanks
Abbe

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Abbe Osram said:
Hi guys,
I switched plans and put the roofing of my cabin to a hold until next spring.
It looks like that the rain season will start with the coming weekend. The birch trees are turning yellow and talking to my neighbour he strongly adviced me not to rip off the roof yet so late in the season.

Instead I am planning to build an outhouse. I tried to make my life a bit easier and wanted to snatch a good blueprint from the net but didnt find a single drawing.
Has anyone of you guys more luck?
I would be really happy if I only have to build and not to draw that thing too!

Thanks
Abbe

No roof this year :D
That means I can take few weeks off in spring then...and help you out!!!

I have read somewhere else about drawings to outhouses but there are none, people just make them and do not use blueprints for them.
There are som examples on this page (scroll down to the bottom)
http://www.byggole.se/sortiment/stugor.htm

I am going homw this weekend so I can see if anybody around there has some tips on how to build them.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Viking said:
No roof this year :D
That means I can take few weeks off in spring then...and help you out!!!

I have read somewhere else about drawings to outhouses but there are none, people just make them and do not use blueprints for them.
There are som examples on this page (scroll down to the bottom)
http://www.byggole.se/sortiment/stugor.htm

I am going homw this weekend so I can see if anybody around there has some tips on how to build them.

yep, Roger washed my head of being so slow. But you have seen the "rain is falling everday". LOL :lmao: I am still laughing about it and T. gets enough of it.
Anyhow, yep I stopped it and fix an outhouse. Its safer and gets me going.
If you are here when I start with the roof it will be great as the "plåt" is 3meter 30 long and 1 meter broad. Would be cool to have a second hand holding the stuff in place when I fix them.

Saw Lars canada thing now, thanks, it rocks fat!

cheers
Abbe

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Abbe Osram said:
yep, Roger washed my head of being so slow. But you have seen the "rain is falling everday". LOL :lmao: I am still laughing about it and T. gets enough of it.
Anyhow, yep I stopped it and fix an outhouse. Its safer and gets me going.
If you are here when I start with the roof it will be great as the "plåt" is 3meter 30 long and 1 meter broad. Would be cool to have a second hand holding the stuff in place when I fix them.

Saw Lars canada thing now, thanks, it rocks fat!

cheers
Abbe

It rains everyday, and it´s a part of life, I say it all the time now. But no one gets it :lmao:

It would be fun to ocme and help ypu to get roof up, it´s hard work but it goes pretty fast to do it. And I have done it before so a little expreience makes it a little easier =)

Monsen is good, I am hoping to get hold of some of his old books now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE