Fish Hunter Catapult Testing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
I have no particular interest in debating the merits (or otherwise) of hunting with catapaults.

The one thing I will say though is that the idea that 18ft lbs of energy is sufficient to ensure a kill in a non-lethal zone and without a well aimed shot is very, very odd to me.

Whilst this may appear to be "half as much again as basic air rifle", I will invite a different comparison.

Lets try "one fifth as much as a .22 rimfire cartridge....with an absolutley rubbish comparable ballistic coefficient". A .22LR rimfire round imparts about 100 ftlbs of energy. Granted it has different terminal ballistics than a .44 ball, however the idea that "a hit = a kill" on a .22LR is clearly nonsense. I cannot see how a round carrying less than 20% of the power, with lower range and less accuracy would impart such certainty.

As I said, I have no particular interest in the merits or otherwise of catapault hunting, however, I can. with some assurance, state that a hit in a non lethal zone, using a .44 ball carry 18ft lb of energy (and bearing in mind this energy decays FAST over range) would not necessarily equal despatched prey.

Red

Hence the need fr out and out accuracy, as best as possible and if you are ethical about your quarries' killing then you need to be on top of your game to use this method. At ten yards though, I would bet that a heavy lead ball that is shifting with more force and power than a dinky little pellet will do the job just fine. I've said pretty much all I want to say on the matter now, I think it is up to the individuals personal beliefs what they do, if they are happy to leave animals winged and maimed and have a clear conscience, then good for them. I prefer to be slightly more clinical in my methods of killing.

Reactions: 1 pot hunter
I understand what you are saying Red, yet when the Army moved from a 7.62 round to the 5.56, it was shown that the % of lethal wounds, even in the desired "Kill zone" decreased. The 7.62 round dropped targets much more consistently,outside of the desired "kill zone" even though it has less velocity than the smaller 5.56. Most UK army snipers use a 7.62 single shot rifle, with the 50cal Accuracy International rifle being the daddy of them all. Unfortunately, it doesn't shoot round corners.

Sorry I can't be bothered going to Wikipedia or even Bisley for all the figures.

Last edited:

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
I have no particular interest in debating the merits (or otherwise) of hunting with catapaults.

The one thing I will say though is that the idea that 18ft lbs of energy is sufficient to ensure a kill in a non-lethal zone and without a well aimed shot is very, very odd to me.

Whilst this may appear to be "half as much again as basic air rifle", I will invite a different comparison.

Lets try "one fifth as much as a .22 rimfire cartridge....with an absolutley rubbish comparable ballistic coefficient". A .22LR rimfire round imparts about 100 ftlbs of energy. Granted it has different terminal ballistics than a .44 ball, however the idea that "a hit = a kill" on a .22LR is clearly nonsense. I cannot see how a round carrying less than 20% of the power, with lower range and less accuracy would impart such certainty.

As I said, I have no particular interest in the merits or otherwise of catapault hunting, however, I can. with some assurance, state that a hit in a non lethal zone, using a .44 ball carry 18ft lb of energy (and bearing in mind this energy decays FAST over range) would not necessarily equal despatched prey.

Red

all good in theory Hugh, but people can and do take game with these, solid evidence to me is much more valuable than ballistics, if ive seen it done then ill beleive it.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire

Red

Its all about impact energy red and shock trauma. Bullets are designed to pierce and the bullet itself is what causes nearly all the damage.

A round .44 cal lead ball has a larger surface area and isnt designed for peneration. It hits with a whack and it will knock em flat. I suppose its like the equivelent of a bloke getting hit by a 9 pounder cannon ball at 40 mph, A bullet might go clean through you and cause damage, but that cannon balls taking you with it and you are not getting up.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
CG,

Difference was of course that the 7.62 carried far more energy than the mouse gun - the charge was far, far higher propelling the head so in every sense I agree, the 7.62 was in every sense a more powerful round. The difference here is the lead ball is carrying far less energy than a humble rimfire.

I have no doubt at all that a .44 ball can carry enough energy to do the job on small game, nor that the terminal ballistics of a larger calibre will impart more energy to the target than a narrower one that over penetrates. For all of that though, it stll needs to hit in the right place to do a clean job.

That said, I have no intention in using a catapault for hunting, merely my observations about the logic.

Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nah, rimfire is a tiny little round - best for bunny / hare sized. You want a centre fire for deer and bigger stuff

Red

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
5.56 may not kill a person out right, so then you take numerous people off the battlefield as they care for their fallen comrade. Also, morale suffers as their mate screams for his mum in the corner with his guts spilling all over the floor, and you can carry more ammunition in 5.56 than 7.62 by weight.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
5.56 may not kill a person out right, so then you take numerous people off the battlefield as they care for their fallen comrade. Also, morale suffers as their mate screams for his mum in the corner with his guts spilling all over the floor, and you can carry more ammunition in 5.56 than 7.62 by weight.

Aye, nasty little beggars they are, not as bad as the 7.62 tumblers the russians had though.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
scary looking bloke lol i couldn't believe that ball going through 4 inches of flesh and then pulverising the bone it was awesome

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Oooooooh catapults!

In my day it were Milbro or a tree fork and nought else. Use to practice with bent coat hanger, doubled elastic bands and bent paper clips. Boy how those school girls screamed!

Took my fist squirrel from sanatorium window aged 9 whilst suffering chickenpox.

We were so poor that if we couldn't hit mark with pebbles we starved!

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE