Fish Hunter Catapult Testing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
Nobody is doubting the lethality of the weapon in the right hands mate. The problem is this bit....
"as long as the shooter is proficent enough to kill". The problem with very high power catapults is that the draw weight makes them inherently inaccurate unless you are very used to the weight and/or have shoulders like Goliath. I'm no archer, but I'm sure they will tell you that you need to match the draw weight to your strength and ability on a bow for the same reasons, otherwise you'll just sacrifice accuracy for power, which is pointless if you cant hit anything.

The other issue is the cost, at around £15 quid for 100 .50 cal lead balls, that's more that .22 rimfire, let alone 22 pellets. That makes em very expensive to shoot.

I think they are great fun things, but I cant see how they are a practical (legal) hunting weapon over an air rifle.

You should buy a Fishy Catty, you don't have to be He Man to use one. Don't forget the Theraband is used for exercises and even though Gold is the strongest of the lot, it is still usable. I've had a go on a Fishy Catty and I'm not a big guy. They do pack a punch though, and it didn't take long to get shots into a small area. With enough practice, I think you could get very accurate indeed with one, and then it would be time to hit the fields!

Reactions: 1 pot hunter

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
this thread seems to have degenerated into a one man crusade to having catapults banned to me you can bang on all you like the fact remains it is legal, with the landowners permission. if you don't like it tough thats the way it is.
incidentally pcp air rifles tend to be the expensive side of £200 whereas a catapult will cost you £20. granted the ammunition is more expensive but you can re-use lead balls you can't re-use pellets.

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
doubled theraband gold is actually very easy to hold steady, much easier than tubes and square elastic in my opinion, and with an ergo style catty you can hold them even steadier.

It is a shame that every catapult thread has to go down this route.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
this thread seems to have degenerated into a one man crusade to having catapults banned to me...
That's a stupid thing to say.

you can bang on all you like the fact remains it is legal, with the landowners permission. if you don't like it tough thats the way it is.
Well, not wanting to bang on any more, but idiots who maim and wound animals instead of cleanly killing em, give responsible hunters a bad rep. So if you dont like having a little bit of responsibility shoved at ya, then in your words - tough. ;)

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield

Well, not wanting to bang on any more, but idiots who maim and wound animals instead of cleanly killing em, give responsible hunters a bad rep. So if you dont like having a little bit of responsibility shoved at ya, then in your words - tough. ;)

Surely you are assuming that people will buy it and go straight out in the field and try having a pop at wildlife. I wouldn't do that with an air rifle so would I do it with a catty? No, because I am responsible. I assume most other people would be too. Has anybody said they will learn to shoot their catty on live targets?

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
jesus, this was only a reveiw and its suddenly just spiraled into a load of snidey comments and digs, people do hunt with these, sucessfully aswell, and if your up to getting your shots right id say its a far more humane tool than an airgun anyway, a killzone shot is not required to kill.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln

agreed they do give hunters a bad name but show me the people on this forum who go round maiming animals? you might think that all hunting with catapults is cruel but its legal so why should you assault everyone else with your views if they don't think its cruel?

incidentally, regarding the 'thats a stupid thing to say' most of your posts on this thread are full of 'stupid things to say, notably your catapult aiming police and the interesting reply to one of duncan's posts where you implied that the only reason you'd want to use a catty would be if you were poaching.

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
jesus, this was only a reveiw and its suddenly just spiraled into a load of snidey comments and digs, people do hunt with these, sucessfully aswell, and if your up to getting your shots right id say its a far more humane tool than an airgun anyway, a killzone shot is not required to kill.
This is exactly why I (and a good few others) don't do any reviews of anything!
Thanks for the review I found it usefull and yes i already have one. No I have not used it for hunting yet. Yes i have hunted both with air rifle, 12 bore/410 and 22lr.

To me there are separate issues here. This started out as a review of the catty.
Not about the pros and cons of hunting with either a catty or an air rifle.
That is a seperate discussion..
Alan

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think everyone is coming to this thread with previous experience, and not all of it good.

It is well known on the internet that the theraband gold catapult is the preferred 'hidden in the pocket' hunting implement of the owner of a site renowned for telling the tales of his poaching.
No names no packdrill, but we all know who I mean.

In that context everything that the Mods, and those who have queried those who promote it's use, have said is understandable.

Do not stir this thread any further.

Josh thank you for the review.
I didn't check, did you place disclaimers ?

The legalities are that the catapult is legal, and in skillfull hands an excellent way of obtaining dinner.
The realities are that to many they are an ambition beyond their abilities.

Before you post anything else on this thread, please stop and consider.
It would be much appreciated :D

cheers,
Toddy

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Surely you are assuming that people will buy it and go straight out in the field and try having a pop at wildlife. I wouldn't do that with an air rifle so would I do it with a catty? No, because I am responsible. I assume most other people would be too. Has anybody said they will learn to shoot their catty on live targets?

I'm not assuming anything, I'm saying in simple terms, that a powerful catapult, particularly of the type that use flatbands are difficult things for anyone to master to hunting level accuracy. Far harder than an air rifle. It seems to me that some folks here think it's OK to just buy one, have a few shots in the back garden and then go blasting at animals. Every single thread on the subject, talks about hunting with them from the start. I'm trying to add a little bit of balance. Shooting a catapult that is beyond your ability at a live animal is a stupid and irresponsible thing to do, and not everyone on this site thinks it's OK, regardless of the law. I'm sorry if that point of view annoys a few people, but a lot of hunters take a lot of time honing their skills to make sure their kills are clean. That's as it should be. When people disregard that, they bring all hunting down with them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE