Fish Hunter Catapult Testing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
That would be your choice, I doubt there are many that would get involved to be honest and I doubt they are under any obligation to do so.

I'm sure you're right. FWIW, I'll be bringing a hunting catty to the Philippines where it'll be shot by a true pro who has been taking game for the pot since he could draw one.

I wouldn't do it, because while I do shoot 4" groups with one slingshot I made, I doubt I'd be allowed to take it on a plane. Besides, it wouldn't fit in my suitcase.

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
In conclusion the Fish hunter is a brilliant bit of kit, hours of can smashing fun.....Highly Reccomended

I've just had a quick try-out of a set of Therabands. My previous reference point was square donkey elastic.

The difference is phenomenal, for less of a draw-weight.

My target was paper bullseye mounted on cardboard hanging in a box with some medium density foam (from a camping mat) in front of the back of the box.

The bb went straight through the target out of the back and left a mark on the concrete post behind it.

I added a couple of layers of cotton sheet to the backstop which seemed to slow the balls enough to stop them shooting out of the back, although they still embedded themselves into the foam...

My first half-hearted shots did hit the target, but I wasn't in a 4" group. Practice required.

Petey

Forager
Oct 4, 2009
Rayleigh, Essex
My elastics arrived today and I managed to whack a few shots off across the pond whilst walking the dog tonight. I was aiming at the image of a 'don't bla bla' signpost reflected in the still waters. I reckon the patch of water where the image was must have been 35 yds and about 18" across.

It was sufficiently dark that I had to focus on the target, not the catapult - i.e. couldn't aim. first shot a little short & wide, following four shots all on target.

I think this catapult and I are going to be pretty close pals!

Last edited:

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
just managed to sighn in here.wow what a thread! btw the leg of lamb was shot with half the amount of theraband of the hunter. i have now rid myself of the cumbersome BSA super10 air rifle ,i get as much with the hunter, as do so many folk, i have now sold over 1400 hunters and not one has appeared on ebay secondhand,folk just wont part with them.

"It is well known on the internet that the theraband gold catapult is the preferred 'hidden in the pocket' hunting implement of the owner of a site renowned for telling the tales of his poaching.
No names no packdrill, but we all know who I mean."

not that martin is it??!!lol

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
Im suprised that they have not outlawed catapults yet. No bowhunting, but catapults allowed... bowhunting is easier. With out starting a new rant, it's an unfair way of doing things.:BlueTeamE

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
From the photos its clear you have never used a or indeed seen anyone use a catapult before and speaking as someone who never left the house without one round my neck under my sweater as a kid I know what Iam talking about when it come to catties, turn your wrist palm down.You'll find things easier and better/more accurate that way. Honestly no offece intended either.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
From the photos its clear you have never used a or indeed seen anyone use a catapult before and speaking as someone who never left the house without one round my neck under my sweater as a kid I know what Iam talking about when it come to catties, turn your wrist palm down.You'll find things easier and better/more accurate that way. Honestly no offece intended either.

Hey Clem. That never worked for me and I always shoot catties with a bow like grip. If you ever hung around Wollaston, you'd have known me in the Eighties, I was scary good :D

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
certainly an interesting thread.

I bought some new bands for one of my catapults the other day with the intention of a bit of plinking with it - haven't had the time yet though. I had planned on hunting with them at some point in the future but not until I am rather good with it.

18ft/lbs is certainly a very high power output. quite impressive infact. - totally useless if you can't hit the bugger though. As is - I am far more accurate with the X2 so that will be my weapon of choice for now. - haven't had a play with her in ages - I will need to get some new pins.

just out of interest Siberian Fury - why is you joined on date 1970?

Andy

Last edited:

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Hey Clem. That never worked for me and I always shoot catties with a bow like grip. If you ever hung around Wollaston, you'd have known me in the Eighties, I was scary good :D
Ello mate, nope never made it up around Wollaston. Kingswinford, Amblecoat, Wordsley, Wallheath. Like yourself I was mustard with a cattie as a nipper, but as I said I never left the house without one and if your doing something all the time everyday you do sort of get good at it I guess.:)

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
took this bird on a mooch today,theres over 100 of them nesting in the tops of the mature beach trees, i had been asked by the land owner to thin the corvids out for the reasons of crop protection and public health ,this one was a brancher,60 feet up and 15 yards away,the ,44 cal shot hit it in the chest,penetrating the cavity causing massive trauma,it was dead before it hit the ground.

DSC05012.jpg

DSC05010.jpg

DSC05015.jpg

Last edited:

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
not to be an **** but shouldn't this be in fair game??

- never had rook pie - is it good? what do they taste like?

Andy

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
not to be an **** but shouldn't this be in fair game??

- never had rook pie - is it good? what do they taste like?

Andy

its pretty good you don't eat the old ones just the branchers because they haven't had a chance to eat loads of crap like the old ones and they aren't as stringy. people used to climb into the rookeries and tie the chicks into the nests that way mum and dad will fatten them up for you and you could just go and neck them later. tastes a bit like pigeon to me

wickerman

May 6, 2010
norfolk
I remember these catapults well got me into catapults again shame he stopped making but he was the man who kicked off catapult hunting .....met him at the wilderness gathering many years ago

Reactions: Dan1982

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
Looking at the age of the original post it appears people we’re slightly naive to the accuracy and power that can be achieved with a modern flat band catty. I own a couple of high end pcp air rifles, I am lucky to have a few hunting permissions and I probably use a catapult more than the guns. Yes practice is required as with anything else but the results will surprise a lot of people.

Reactions: 1 pot hunter

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
No argument with that at all. Just pointing out that people in this country dont need to hunt for food. It's cheaper and easier to get it from a supermarket. If you choose to hunt, rear you own etc, great. But as you say, it's a lifestyle choice not a necessity.

You mean like if you hit it in the bottom with a catapult and it got down it's hole before you got to it?

You dont need pinpoint accuracy (although with PCP's it's certainly possible to stack pellets at 30 yards), but dont you think a hunter should be reasonably proficient with his weapon before shooting animals? I would think being able to hit a packet of fags off a fence post at 15 yards 9/10 should be the minimum.

I think my point is, while power is important, accuracy is too. On the other hand, I have visions of people with biceps like sparrows kneecaps, popping aneurysms trying to draw their quadruple-strapped catty's and flirting lead balls into orbit, I guess most bunny's have nothing to worry about. :D
Are u a Hunter ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE