First cup attempt: All comments welcome!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SimonMast

Tenderfoot
Dec 12, 2011
Hertfordshire
Been working on this on and off since not long after Boxing Day when I picked up the piece of silver birch from which I cut it. (the rest will hopefully make some more things. :))

I made it with my Opinel, mostly, and used my Mora 164 (huge thanks to Bardster for the work he did on it) for the bowl. I ended up using files to clean up the lines, which I hadn't planned to do, but I'm so glad that I did. Likewise with the sanding. Out of everything, I think I need to work on getting the rim better in future, but I'm hoping it'll do.

It probably wasn't the most logical choice for a first project, but it seemed to make sense. I'd have a go at spoons but I need to buy an axe to split with. :)

Anyway, here it is. It's a bit rough cut, but I'm quite pleased with it. Can't wait to have a wee dram out of it when it's taken a dip in walnut oil. :)

DSCF5852.jpg

DSCF5855.jpg

DSCF5848.jpg

DSCF5854.jpg

All comments/criticism welcome!

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
Thats ace,..!,...

looks almost turned on a lathe,....

my mate made me one and i decided against oiling it,...thinking the whisky would eventually seal it...

5 bottles later and it still drinks more than me

Hi simon,
When i saw the first picture,i thought that your cup had been turned on a lathe.Its realy nice mate.As you posted that this is your first attempt at a cup,you are now doomed to spend all your spare time at the work bench, making more.Give the spoons a go you can make one, from any small suitable piece of wood.
Regards Chris.

SimonMast

Tenderfoot
Dec 12, 2011
Hertfordshire
Majorly flattered by some of the comments here; thank you all. It means a lot, considering the standard of work around here. :)

But I'm loving the IJ references. Massive fan. I had thought originally of basing mine on the one in the film. I probably will have a go at it if I come upon a bigger piece. The evening I started this I took the excuse to put Last Crusade on for 'educational viewing'. :D

SimonMast

Tenderfoot
Dec 12, 2011
Hertfordshire
He chose...Poorly.

And lovely cup! Love the clean lines of it.

Thanks! :)

I realise I never updated this thread. I gave it a soak in some walnut oil, and I'm pleased with how it came out...

DSCF5873.jpg

DSCF5872.jpg

DSCF5874.jpg

Needless to say, it buffed to a much flatter finish, but I couldn't resist the lustre. :D

And I couldn't resist a maker's mark. I actually made that for a forum avatar a few years back, based on my initials (JRB) but it's much better for this. I also love the figuring on the base.

As a cup, the thick rim doesn't make for the greatest drinking experience ever, but I don't care. :)

DSCF5864.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE