First Coastal Weekend Planning

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Hi all,

I am looking for a bit of advice regarding a weekend camping at the coast (Dengi Peninsula).

We are going by rib boat to our location and as such we are limited to one bag each, Sabre SF 45 in my case. As I have never done a coastal weekend I was after some advice on my shelter for the weekend.

Drom what I have been told the beach area is predominately banked sea shells and silted mud. What are my options for a shelter?

I own a banshee 300 and DD superlight tarp. The banshee downside is its size and I will need to make/get something to replace the tent pegs and the tarps downside is no trees and I dont own any poles and I am unsure how the superlight would work with the wind.

Any advice would be great.
Cheers T.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Theirs a few options for you.i have set tents up in the past on beaches n tied stones too the ends of the guy lines n buried them this works but it's not great.tgem same procedure can be done with tarps too.the easiest option is a bivi bag n would be my preferred choice. You could also buy one of the new pop up tents if your willing too spend a little cash I have one in the shed I use for festivals n such these are fully geodesic and require no lines too hold up the structure.the lines are just their too give the tent strength in the wind.like this
North Gear Camping Pop Up 2 Man Tent Blue https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00EO02B2M/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_8-JXvb3F1563V
Hope I've helped you out a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
You can take plastic rubble sacks to part fill with shingle roll it up and tie your guy lines to them if large stones are not available (burying them in shingle will aid security in higher winds). You can get some extendable tarp poles for under 25 quid from here delivered next day most times. There is a discount code for 10% off PM me if you want it. I bought a pair last week and they do the job. Or get a cheap pair of walking poles from the likes of go outdoors if you have their discount card, although I have yet to find an opportunity to buy one as most times what I want from them does not make that cost worthwhile.
Sounds like a nice trip, going in by boat must mean it is well secluded so make sure to have plenty of water.
HTH

Rob.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Theirs a few options for you.i have set tents up in the past on beaches n tied stones too the ends of the guy lines n buried them this works but it's not great.tgem same procedure can be done with tarps too.the easiest option is a bivi bag n would be my preferred choice. You could also buy one of the new pop up tents if your willing too spend a little cash I have one in the shed I use for festivals n such these are fully geodesic and require no lines too hold up the structure.the lines are just their too give the tent strength in the wind.like this
North Gear Camping Pop Up 2 Man Tent Blue https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00EO02B2M/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_8-JXvb3F1563V
Hope I've helped you out a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking of sawing a few little bags i can fill with sand and use them like mentions withe the stones.

My other option is to use my Jervens bag but doesnt give much admin space, but i would solve my issues of pitching something if i dont need too.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
You can take plastic rubble sacks to part fill with shingle roll it up and tie your guy lines to them if large stones are not available (burying them in shingle will aid security in higher winds). You can get some extendable tarp poles for under 25 quid from here delivered next day most times. There is a discount code for 10% off PM me if you want it. I bought a pair last week and they do the job. Or get a cheap pair of walking poles from the likes of go outdoors if you have their discount card, although I have yet to find an opportunity to buy one as most times what I want from them does not make that cost worthwhile.
Sounds like a nice trip, going in by boat must mean it is well secluded so make sure to have plenty of water.
HTH

Rob.

Thanks Rob, Have you used these on the beach?

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Thanks Rob, Have you used these on the beach?

Not yet but I have tried using my kayak paddle (it splits in two ) but found it too short for what I really wanted to set up hence the purchase. On soft sand I would also use a pair of plastic coasters that are from an old tent to prevent them sinking in too far.

Rob.

lonefish

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2011
Otley, nr Leeds, Yorkshire
Hi Tank,

Not sure whether this comment is too late or not, but here's what I did with a Trailstar:

IMG00925-20140711-2138%20(Mobile).jpg

IMG00923-20140711-2138%20(Mobile).jpg

There were plenty of larger stones to select from, not sure this will be the case where you go.

The tension on the shelter was fine, no problem at all. Sea got to within about 10 feet of the Trailstar which was a bit unnerving!

IMG00948-20140712-0559%20(Mobile).jpg

Bet you'll have an awesome time, we did! :)

Cheers

Rich

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Thanks Rich, Hopefully I am hopefully going to use this method, I guess it will depend on whats we find when we get there.

We will be there this friday to late sunday.

I am gonig to be trying out the Lidl £20 tent (which i found reduced to £8 and as it pack nice and small so I will can also take the DD super light tarp and poles. So will have a few options when we arrive.

Will update on our return.

Cheers T.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Hi TANK
It's probably best to be prepared with poles, tent and tarp for your first camp. Get the tent up and have a play around with some different tarp configurations. (If only I practised what I preached) I do a lot of coastal camps and walks, but I never carrying poles or pegs, I've always managed to get by with driftwood for poles and pegs, some times I just wind the guy line round a rock and bury it, and use rocks or sand to anchor down the windward side of the tarp. Rob & Rich have the right idea, be adaptable. The biggest problem I have round the coast if finding clean water. I don't know what type of vegetation you have there but get something under you for insulation, wet ground or sand can get very cold and sand is nearly always like concrete. Another trick that might help you get a more completable sleep is use a rock to bang a small dip or dig a wee hole in the sand for your hip bone. The wind can also be quite tricky sometimes round the coast so if you use tarp, be prepared to turn it round when the wind changes or it will fill up like a parashoot.
Get a fire going and a dram or 3 down you, just to keep the chill off ;-). Enjoy..

t

Last edited:

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Cracking use of driftwood 21, (hearing cries of " I am not a number , I am a free man" ) :D
Most of the driftwood I find around here is only good for fueling my F1 Storm Kettle :) good advice in that post too.

@Tank, have a great trip out, I'm sure you will have a great time.

Rob.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Update - Back and here is a short video of the weekend

[video=youtube;9l2q_CE7Ot8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l2q_CE7Ot8&feature=yo utu.be[/video]

I will do a writeup and photos asap

Cheers T.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Hey Tank, welcome back to civilisation, looks like you had a blast dude.
Nice firework display, and that sea bass looked tasty.
That's one thing I like about having a big tarp up, more sociable, when it rains, people just naturally tend to gather together under it and have a good time despite the weather, someone said it before, tents can be to insular, if it rains people just disappear into there tents for hours, I say get the tarp up and have a good old crack, light the fire, have a dram, shoot the breeze, watch the stars and catch a fish, life is short, enjoy. The boat trip looked fun to.
ATB

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE