First carved bowl. (pic heavy)

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I've carved Kuksas and spoons before, but have never attempted anything as big as this. So using a split Ash log I had brought home from the Moot last year, I set about the task, using my bowl adze, hawk, spoon knife and Mora robust, it soon started to take shape. I whittled down some of the larger offcuts to make 3 legs, rather than flatten the bottom of the bowl, then gave it a coat of Walnut oil. It's not perfect, but I'm pleased with the end result. Hope you like it, all comments appreciated.

Carved bowl 001.jpg Carved bowl 002.jpg Carved bowl 003.jpg Carved bowl 004.jpg
Carved bowl 005.jpg Carved bowl 006.jpg Carved bowl 007.jpg Carved bowl 008.jpg
Carved bowl 009.jpg Carved bowl 010.jpg Carved bowl 011.jpg Carved bowl 012.jpg
Carved bowl 013.jpg Carved bowl 014.jpg Carved bowl 015.jpg Carved bowl 016.jpg

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I like it, i bet you've got the bug for making more now

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I thought you were a chippie? It's awful man!

You know I'm kidding Colin I like that, really nice form to it and it's got the added memory value of having been sourced at the MOOT!

Are you going to serve up Aarons huge piles of "bangers and Mash" in it?

Must say I like the legs idea, makes it lighter and stable and adds extra interest. Something to keep in the new man shed or has the good lady claimed it?

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nice one Colin. I hear ya about the greener the wood being easier to carve. I took home that other half of the log you carved that Woodspirit into. It had sat under a shelter at my Mother's house in Kent. Came to have a go at carving on it and I would have got better results on a concrete slab. Oh well.

Very nice carving job mate, well done!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE