First attempt at a homemade takedown bow (pics and videos)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jonboy83

Forager
Nov 2, 2011
Wales
Hi all here's my first attempt at a takedown bow. welsh oak riser and ash limbs all hand made has a tent guyline as a string at present but still performs well all the same any feedback good or bad is most appreciated thanks Jono

WP_20130727_002_zps5a2d6bdb.jp  g
[/URL][/IMG]
WP_20130727_003_zps35bc4b1c.jp  g
[/URL][/IMG]

WP_20130727_004_zps1bd53ec9.jp  g
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited by a moderator:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Very nice ;) That riser is a stunner.

The tiller seems pretty dam good but it seems like your nocking point on the string is a bit high. Try a set square or even paper halvedn quatered and run it down the string square to your arrow pass. After that people tend to go up and a bit from there to suit, I do a "touch" maybe 1/4 inch.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I normally work on my knocking point being at least the arrow shaft thickness above horizontal, if that makes sense.

Your bow arm is too straight and you're strangling your bow. Bend your left elbow and hold the bow loosely in left hand. You will catch your forearm a lot less with the string.

Nice bow I wouldn't want to be on the business end.

When you add a non stretch string such as dacron you might need to look at the tiller again as the limbs will be working harder.

Good work.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Very well done, when are they going into production??? I just noticed you have crafted some paddles as well, how about a canoe:) come on Jono you can do it.....

Last edited:

Jonboy83

Forager
Nov 2, 2011
Wales
Very well done, when are they going into production??? I just noticed you have crafted some paddles as well, how about a canoe:) come on Jono you can do it.....

Hello mate:) thats what the paddles are for canoe already done will take some pictures later. I dont know about the bow going into production this one has been a work in progress over the past 6 months, dont think people are prepared to wait that long :)

Jonboy83

Forager
Nov 2, 2011
Wales
thanks folks :eek:. cutting that oak riser with a fret saw is a nightmare, so anyone else contemplating making a bow use a bandsaw or find someone who owns one. shaping and tillering the limbs wasnt too bad I used a drawknife and spokeshave, but getting the tiller on both equal is what took me so long. but the time and experince of making it was well worth it and I am chuffed at the results, the only other bow I have ever made was a bent stick and some wool when I was about 9 lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE