Firesteel on sheath? yay or nay?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Is a ferro rod loop a prerequisite for a bushcraft knife sheath?

• Yes. It is part of the basic bushy knife package

Votes: 36 30.8%
  • No. I would prefer NO loop/firesteel on the sheath

Votes: 81 69.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ashmarsh860

Mar 30, 2013
North Dorset
Dave,
I would have to say that the loop is more important that the item that you choose the place in it! I have been on numerous different trips where I have utilised the loop or loops on my sheath to accommodate different tools. If I am going to be away from my base camp for a long time, then I take a sharpening rod, if I am likely to need a rapid fire then a fire steel goes in. I have now adjusted all of my kit to enable it to be used in a modular fashion, so I always have just what I need! So even if you don't fill them, still put the loops on! If your punters don't like em, then they can remove them. Its harder to add them than to remove them!

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
What most of you knife (sheath) makers do wrong is that you put the ferro rod loop to high on the sheath. Fit it lower and it won't interfer with the drawing of the knife.

And for those worried about the ferro rod getting thinner and falling out, secure it with a piece of elastic cord. Like in this picture of my Enzo Knife in sheath with ferro rod.
As for corrosion. I have never seen that except one that was in my tackle box and exposed to salt water. And I live on a wet island in the sea. And finally, we are talking about a peice of kit that you can buy for a £ if you make the handle yourself, and you are bushcrafters?

That said I perfectly understand those that just don't like the look of it, or can't be bothered because they prefer other fire starting methods. But I can't really see any technical reasons why one should not have one on the sheath.

Anyway, here is my Enzo sheath. Notice the low placement of the ferro rod. It puts it out of the way for drawing the knife. And alo makes it less fumbly to insert it back. And the bungee secures it.

8602360909_27309180c0.jpg

bradleybuckman

Forager
Jun 25, 2010
Kentucky, USA
What most of you knife (sheath) makers do wrong is that you put the ferro rod loop to high on the sheath. Fit it lower and it won't interfere with the drawing of the knife.

That's the main reason why I prefer a sheath without a firesteel loop, because it more often than not, gets in the way when drawing the knife. I've actually cut them off some of the sheaths of the knives that I use a lot. I also think a sheath without the loop looks better. However, it is a convenient place to store the means for making a fire that will always be on you.

Last edited:

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
Fire steel loops are a funny thing Dave mate, as someone who makes knife sheaths on a daily basis, some want it some don't, I always give the option bud, if they want it or not, I would not put it in as standard, but ask the customer if he wants it on or not mate, all my work comes from commission, so I ask whats needed for there sheath from the customer.
i personally like mine, but I use my Multicarry system, so have the best of a few bits, I think where a lot of sheath makers go wrong with the loops is they make the loop too big, as in too long, it covers too much of the steel, you want a good bit of the steel sticking out so that you can use a lanyard over the end when it wears down, and they put it to close to the top which hinders deployment.
also the sheath you have shown, which I call the western type sheath, does not sit well with a fire steel to be honest bud, as the scallops interfere, when you make the option for some one I would make the part for the fire steel flat, and then add the steel to that, hope that makes sense mate.
and leave the western type style with out bud.
hope that helps a little mate.
take care, see you at the show.
lee.

Last edited:

tamoko

Jun 28, 2009
Zuerich
bushcraftru.com
I voted no.
Found more practical separate, fire kit, medical kit, knife.
Sometimes I think, to add to the sheath small pouch for sharpening and multi-tool Kf4, but I do not like over-sized large sheath.

almac

Forager
Oct 13, 2010
Okanagan, BC CANADA
i personally prefer a loop for my firesteel. i'm not too concerned about moisture corrosion; i use an exotac nanostriker.
i use an elastic to keep in on, and if im away from camp, i usually clip it on for extra security. for the most part my sheath firesteel is a backup only.
it is there just in case i get separated from my regular fire kit.

leon-1

Keep it as an option mate, but don't fit as standard.

Firesteel loops are a marmite type of thing, either people love them or hate them.

As a convenience item on a sheath they are handy and I use them on neck sheaths as the loop is unlikely to get wet and aid in the corrosion of the firesteel.

If the holder is designed properly the firesteel will not drop out when warn, I noticed on the picture you placed up that you have wetformed around the handle of the firesteel, nice touch mate.

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
Why anyone would want to have an anoying appendix in their knife sheat is far beyond what I can understand.
I even see some people trying to commit sepuku on a regular basis, wearing their knifes in a string around their neck.

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
^^
There's one of them, right there:rolleyes:

At least you have a hard plastic sheath so you won't penetrate your chest cavity with your own knife when you stumble and fall:)

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I voted "no". The reason is that I have a knife with beautiful reindeer antler scales and a matching reindeer antler handled firesteel. I never use it. It sits, looking very pretty 'n' purposeful on the sheath but remains untouched. When I am lighting fire or stove, I reach for my fire pouch which contains all the things I need, including a separate firesteel.

Of course, there will be any number of people who like to have their firesteel on the sheath and use it. To cater for them, make it an option - that way, you'll satisfy all your clients as well as adding a bit of variety when it comes to the leatherwork stage of the process.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Mate I can't agree to disagree, sorry, things should be straight as people will read this off the net and get the wrong idea.

There isn't a welt in a sheath with a liner, the liner replaces the welt, so it can't protect it more as it isn't there. The welt is the extra layer, that retains the blade, sown into the space between the two sides or layers of leather in a sheath without a liner.......

Several of my handgun holsters are lined; and they have welts. Why would a knife sheath be different?

Simon H

Nomad
Feb 20, 2008
The Ashdown Forest
Can't answer for handguns, I only ever used them out of a case or slip at a club before they were banned here, but knives that are clothed in leather, over here, are generally in two types of sheath. A Scandi, which has a liner as they are usually thinner leather with the seam off to one side of the cutting edge, which means it needs a liner to protect the leather from the cutting edge, or a folded or layered type sheath which has a welt between the folds or layers to protect the stitching, which if well engineered doesn't allow the cutting edge near the stitching anyway.
It''s not that you can't have a liner and a welt it's just that the liner is redundandant with a welt in well made sheath and I don't know any makers that use both on any one style.

Hope that makes sense!

Lyope

Tenderfoot
Sep 6, 2012
London
www.lyope.com
In my limited experience, there's a certain sort of chap who like things to dangle from his belt. Maybe he watched a little bit too much Batman in his youth; maybe he's just quite keen on attaching his shiny toys to his saggy midriff, I don't know.

Either way, what I do know is that although there are some jolly good reasons for keeping your knife close to hand and in a stout sheath, I'd rather keep the amount of kit that I'm wearing to a minimum. Stuff is safer in a bag or in a pocket and you don't end up looking like such a massive pillock.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE