Firesteel on sheath? yay or nay?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Is a ferro rod loop a prerequisite for a bushcraft knife sheath?

• Yes. It is part of the basic bushy knife package

Votes: 36 30.8%
  • No. I would prefer NO loop/firesteel on the sheath

Votes: 81 69.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I think you have to offer the option, I think many folks will fork out a little extra to have one.

I do not like having one on my belt sheath, however I have an alternative baldric type sheath with a slot for a rod and stone and I quite like that it makes for a tidy little package with some handy doo-dads attached. :)

DSC_0088.JPG

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I've never used one, but I've never liked the look either.

If I was summing up this thread so far, then there seem to be practical reasons why people don't want the firesteel on the sheath, and commercial reasons why you should offer it as an option.

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
I've never liked neck knives. I hate having stuff hanging in front of me and getting in the way. Well I do have one with a fire steel, but rerely use it.

So I am all for the loop on the sheath of the belt knife. The one I keep there is on a bungee cord so it does not fall off, and when it gets to short for that, which takes a season or two for me, I just rotate it to one of my other 3 or four kits for making fire that I always bring. I.e on on the knife, one in my possibles pouch, one in my get home bag etc, and replace the one on the sheat with a new one. They are very cheap after all.

I actually got a new sheath for my knife, because the stock sheath did not have a loop. And it is my go-to fire steel, just because it's so handy to have it there, and to put it back when used.

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
I'm a wilderness fisherman and hobbyist maker and i've come to my own conclusions about sheath accessories. I do use a ferro rod, but mostly for lighting Coleman lamps and stoves, but it is nice to know i have one if necessity calls. I have a removable THING on my sheath that holds the main tools that i need......Artery forceps and surgical scissors. Fishing tools!! I only go for 3 or 4 days each trip so i don't see the need to carry a sharpening stone. I've been thinking that a small pouch on the sheath holding an oily rag would be a handy accessory for cleaning and protecting a carbon steel blade.It's amazing how fast an 01 steel blade will start to rust!!!.........And we all know that rust is knife cancer!!!
2010-08-14203614.jpg
2010-08-14203805.jpg
2010-08-14203821.jpg
081910135933.jpg

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I used to make my sheaths with loops - but then I found that I rarely use a ferro rod, prefering a flint and steel.
A ferro rod still lives in my "bits" pouch but is rarely used...

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I keep my firesteel in my tinderbox with all the fire-making kit where it keeps dry, and that lives either in my response pack or a trouser pocket - am still working on the appropriate pocket-aray for me :). I've never used a firestill on a knife sheeth and I don't use the back of my knife to get a spark either. That said, I think offering it to your customers is a good idea, Dave.

Commercially I think you need to include one. It's almost expected and if you Google Bushcraft knives 90% the images include a sheath with loop.
Personally I usually end up using matches or a lighter so Ferro rod just ends up being carried just because it is the loop.
Maybe you should put a little pouch for disposable lighters on the sheaths? :)

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
.....I have a removable THING on my sheath that holds the main tools that i need......Artery forceps and surgical scissors. Fishing tools!.....

That's a great THING there dazcon, I like that a lot.

I've voted no loop, I keep my ferro rod and striker in a little pouch on my belt or clipped to a mini carabiner inside my trouser pocket.

Cheers,

Stuart

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hello Mr. Budd,

I'm with the majority that I don't like them on the knife sheath, I wan't a clean grab for the handle when I draw my knife without something getting in the way. I did however get a nice wee ferro holder from a chap on here that solves the problem for me anyway. (I do have a dedicated fire pouch with all sorts in it but sometimes if just lighting a lamp/stove/fire I don't need to get it out).
It can unclip from my belt quickly if needs be, though it's easy to draw without doing that as although I added some leather lace with a couple of button knots for retention it's not faffy. Will now attempt to add pictures :sigh:
https://picasaweb.google.com/goatboysnoopdog/Ferro?authkey=Gv1sRgCIfVg9rB9Li86QE#

Cheers,
GB.

Last edited:

rg598

Native
I find the firesteel holder on a knife sheath to be a gimmick for which I have no use. For starters, not everyone uses ferro rods, and if they actually use them, many don't keep them in a loop on the knife sheath. The more you use the ferro rod the thinner it becomes...

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Wasn't the ferro rod all the rage and a 'must have' item not so long ago? What's happened?

I think that it is a handy thing to fall back on, so having one on the sheath that you do not generally use means you will have an easy fire making method with you if you are carrying your knife. It can also be impressive when shown to non bushcrafty relatives and friends. :)

As I mentioned earlier, I don't like having a tube on my belt sheath and usually use matches myself. :)

Last edited:

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I posted this poll in a few other places too and it seems that the conclusion is pretty universal so far.

Most people don't want it on the sheath, but since that is what prospective customers expect to see I would be silly to remove it :rolleyes:

It's looking like I will offer it as an optional fixture in all models.

Now the question is:
do I offer the knife WITH it as standard but you can leave it off and save £xx; or have the knife WITHOUT it and offer the steel as an extra. Realistically, by the time the cost of materials and more importantly the time is taken in to account, the difference is probably £30

I'm definately not going to fit a pounch to the sheath, been there and its more hassel than its worth. I do like the seperate holder or clip on version though ;)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
The evil side of my retail nature would say include it as standard and save £££ by leaving it off for the following reasons I: People love a percieved bargain II: People are asperational and think that more is good III: Some folk are too lazy to check a box to leave it off.

But I think you're a good man and should offer it as an optional extra and or a seperate clip or holder version.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
yeah, my thoughts are pretty similar. The little bit of businessman in me says it make much more sense to have it fitted as standard and offer the saving. Then the other side of me is the part that really can't be bothered making and fitting the bloody things! :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE