Firefox Kuksa

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Fox-Fire-Kuksa-I.jpg

Following on from the kolrosing I did on my "Saivo Bowl" recently I decided to make it a pair with a kuksa I bought a while back.

Fox-Fire-Kuksa-II.jpg

I bought it because I particularly liked the reflective rays in the grain of the wood, an effect which I am told is referred to as "Chatoyancy". They reminded me of the Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights) which I have been lucky enough to see a few times now.

Fox-Fire-Kuksa-III.jpg

Having researched many of the Sámi drum symbols for the bowl I thought I could use some of them to depict the Great Elk Hunt that is recorded for the Sámi in the constellations of the Northern sky.

Fox-Fire-Kuksa-IV.jpg

I'm calling it my "Firefox Kuksa" after another story that the Aurora is caused by the tail of an Arctic fox brushing snow up into the air.

Fox-Fire-Kuksa-V.jpg

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
You can tell its an elk rather than anything else.

The big shoulders and spreading rather than upright antlers.

Reactions: Wayland

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Very nice job - thanks for sharing. I feel the need to have another go at carving a kuksa after these inspiring pictures.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I confess that I am terrible at identifying wood from it's grain. I nearly always get it wrong. If it's not labelled I'm lost.

My guesses, based only upon their resistance to cutting, would be something hard and beech like for the bowl and something much softer like birch for the kuksa.

I wouldn't be surprised if that turned out to be totally wrong but those would be the traditional materials for both of those artefacts.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Everything you draw, I would label as moose. Alces alces. Elk, to us, is a very different ungulate altogether.
In any event, they are animals of the Taiga = Boreal Forest. On my table, both are a treat.
Your kolrosing uses a remarkable economy of line.

• Haha

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Two Nations separated by a common language. :)

It's only you colonials that call an Elk a Moose... What you call an Elk is more or less what we call a Red Deer... :p

I find that economy of line one of the very distinctive features of the drum art. In some ways it distils things to their absolute essence.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Name the species, Wayland. I have a complete distrust of common names.
English is particularly bad for that. Moose is Alces alces. You got them?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE