Boreal Bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Boreal-Bag-I.jpg

You may remember I decorated a bowl and kuksa recently for a winter trip to Finnish Sápmi that I am planning with friends. I chose a Sámi mythological theme for them using traditional symbols from their Noaidi Drums in keeping with the Arctic destination.

I wanted a nice bag to carry them in, not just to protect them in packing but also to store them safely around camp. The most practical way to do the latter is often to be able to hang it from a line in the shelter.

I had a small amount of Sámi made, birch tanned reindeer leather left over from some other jobs. Working with this material, with it's distinctive aroma, always evokes memories of my time up at Lofotr in the Summer. A wonderful time spent in the land of the Midnight Sun. I obtained the hides from the Winter Market in Jokkmokk, another destination up north of the Arctic Circle.

It seems therefore the most appropriate material I could possibly use to make the bag I wanted for my Saivo Bowl and Firefox Kuksa.

Boreal-Bag-II.jpg

Many cultures believe that there is a "right" way to do things and a "proper time" to do them as well. The concept is often translated simply as "auspicious" but it is more complicated than that. The Inuit say for example that it is about showing correct and proper respect to the spirits and ancestors.

For me at least, yesterday, as the planet revolved again and completed it's 56th orbit of the sun since I came kicking and screaming into this world, just felt like the perfect time to be making this bag.

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Those are for hanging the bag on a line to keep it up and out of the snow but still easily accessible.

Wayland-Snow-Shed.jpg

This is the shelter I will be using and the main ridge line runs under the material so tends to be used for hanging storage.

I could use lighter materials but brass was considered sacred by the Sámi so it seemed like the right choice. They are detachable of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: bopdude

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I could use lighter materials but brass was considered sacred by the Sámi so it seemed like the right choice.
Apparently all copper based (non easily corrodable) materials were considered to have special powers. And I don't know what they would have used to hang something maybe a hook of some kind made from reindeer antler.

Reactions: Wayland

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Those are for hanging the bag on a line to keep it up and out of the snow but still easily accessible.

Wayland-Snow-Shed.jpg

This is the shelter I will be using and the main ridge line runs under the material so tends to be used for hanging storage.

I could use lighter materials but brass was considered sacred by the Sámi so it seemed like the right choice. They are detachable of course.

What's the yellow items? It looks like a peddle bin :D

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
yes, I wondered too.

But its a great bag; I would make one but I havent such nice leather.

Deer skin is a favorite of mine though.

Was it the Saami who valued silver over gold as it was from the moon?

Reactions: Wayland

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I'm not adverse to a bit of Scandi design but packing a peddle bin might be a step too far. :p

I've heard the silver "more valued than gold" thing mentioned about the Vikings but I've never come across a source for the statement. I have not to date come across any source mentioning it in connection to the Sámi yet but it has not been a focus for my research and the sources are relatively scarce and scattered.

The Sámi certainly place value on silver, using it extensively in their jewellery just as the Vikings did. Whether this is just because of availability or cultural valuation is difficult to say.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE