Firefox Kuksa

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Eurasian Elk ( Alces alces ) Renamed by those rebellious colonials as "Moose" for some reason.

The colonial elk (Cervus canadensis) until very recently (2004) was considered to be the same species as the Red Deer (Cervus elaphus) Obviously another whiff of rebellion.

And what you lot insist on calling the Caribou (Rangifer tarandus) is definitely the Reindeer (Rangifer tarandus).
nana.gif

Reactions: Robson Valley

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
There, now look, the Shaman.

He gives the animals names...and they stick.

He is called Carl Linneus and he is from Sweden.

Now go look a picture of him up online and tell me what you see...

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
BLM and typical Swedish SD political correctness.

Actually that was somebodys demand but heaven knows when another takes a catch.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
BLM and typical Swedish SD political correctness.

Actually that was somebodys demand but heaven knows when another takes a catch.

A lot of that going around at the moment.

The "Woke" generation may learn to look to the beam in their own eyes eventually.

In the mean time I will satisfy myself with the thought that I am rather too old to be right about everything.

Reactions: Tengu

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
You can't be right about something where there is no right or wrong, of course you can try if you are a leftist but that still does not make it right. Goes into politics let it be.

Reactions: Wayland

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks for the proper names. We have very small herds of protected mountain caribou which look nothing like reindeer.
Our moose. There are clearly several distinctly different races of them with overlapping ranges.
"Moose" might be derived from a name given in one of the First Nations languages.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
All reindeer subspecies look pretty much alike, small differences like height. What most Americans think of reindeer is a Disney make believe, just about nothing to do with reindeer.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Sorry but north of the 49th, we don't give a sweet rat's patootie what Disney says or does.
Public perception of these animals is quite different from American perceptions.

Those endangered mountain caribou are 50 miles west of me.
They come down, north, in April to spend about a month along the Fraser riverthen they
go back up George Mtn and other places for the rest of the year.
Go in there on a snowmobile and you're looking at a major fine and the loss of your sled.

Ever seen a car that has hit an adult moose at 70 mph? I've watched it happen. Bigger than most horses.
We have obviously different subspecies of Alces alces (moose) here.
The long-legged brown ones and the short-legged black ones. Every hunter knows that.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Yes I have seen what happens to the car. The North American Alces is on the average slightly bigger than the northern European one, I think the biggest they have weighted in Sweden was slightly over 800 kg in Finland over 700 kg. On the average about 2000 collisions a year.

In Fennoskandia there are two subspecies of reindeer, the fell reindeer that is the origin of the half tame one and the larger and taller forest reindeer. When going east there probably are other ones.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Marvelous they are. Did you use a dedicated kolrosing knife, or adapt another small knife, like say a small mora, and adjust the grip?
I've recently been carving a birch kuksa for an old pal who is still laid up with c19, thought it would cheer him up a little. The birch was very well seasoned, and was subsequently stubborn to shape.
Not a lot left to do, and was intending to try some kolrosing on it.

Pipster

Aug 9, 2020
Scunthorpe, Humberside
Wayland, if you don't mind the question - whereabouts did you buy the kuksa from, please ? I'm currently looking for one with antler deco, but most of the ones I'm turning up on the internet aren't really hitting the mark - whereas the one you've pictured is beautiful - even before the kolrosing !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE