Saivo Bowl

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, I think so too.

Tacticus describes the Fenni as hunting folk. (And he is quite frank with his shock at the sheer simplicity of their lives compared to Gauls and Germans and other `primitive` folk he knows)

Is it true that `herding` words in the Saami languages are loan words from Norse?

I myself know a little bit about the Aminist faiths, such as Shinto (Shinto is an expression of `Japaneseness` rather than a faith). though I count myself no expert.

you have the word `Kami` (divine, but that is a very loose translation, it means many things) and `kuma` (The scary creature in the fur coat) but then things like the Ainu personal name `Kamui` -so we are getting back to shamanism and the bear hunting rites in the `kalevala`

(Wayland, with your description of the confused mythology its clear that Fennoscandanavia has no Lonnrot...or Who was that guy who wrote the prose Edda?? cant recall)

(Also with the mutlitude of names I get the feel of taboo words? Maybe titles instead of names...you notice that in Japan, whenever they name a tengu, its always a title. I dont think tengu give their true names).

We are also getting to the other part of Greek mythology, the one we tend to forget, the Hero cults. many of them are titles too, -But, then king Arthur (artos...look, another bear...) and Robin Hood dont seem to be individuals either...

Regarding Saami and their art, they were amazed at the realistic depictions of plants a certain Carl Linnaeus painted. this is why he is depicted as a shaman himself.

(But of course a guy who can name the animals and make the names stick must be an incredibly powerful magician...)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The culturally really large change happened fairly late early 1700 when became the change from reindeer hunting to reindeer herding. The previous larger change was of course Christianity a bit earlier, curiously though it looks like the effect was not very large as the Ancient Belief was not a system and the culture stayed pretty much the same. There was a Christ but bear still had a soul and Seita was given sacrifice.

Often the case that polytheistic belief systems simply accept monotheistic "gods" as "just another god".

It tends to be the monotheists that get all twisted up about the matter unfortunately.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
In response to an enquiry elsewhere, I've put together a quick guide to the drum symbols I've used.

Drum-Symbols-used-on-Bowl-and-Kuksa-2K.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE