Firebox project

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dirty Karlos

Forager
Oct 16, 2007
Hull
www.karlholtby.com
I am thinking of getting a mate of mine (sheet metal worker), to knock me up a firebox. I just wondered if anyone else had done anything similar?
I will be using it on canoe / camping trips. I will probably design my own but I am wondering, what would make the perfect firebox for you?
Suggestions please, who knows he could probably rattle off a few once I get the design sorted.

Cheers.

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
You could have a look at the one i made by a search on diy and trad crafts,look for homemade raised firebox by soloman.
Soloman.

Urban_Dreamer

Jan 8, 2009
Rochdale
I just wondered if anyone else had done anything similar?
I will be using it on canoe / camping trips.

To be honest, you are not going to get it right first time. So I recommend having a go yourself, unless your mate likes the project himself. I made two standard sized Nimwald Dandy's. One out of 0.9mm stainless,which is FAR too heavy but was easy to obtain and one from 0.4mm titanium which is so light that your pan scourer probably weighs more. (Well 4oz in truth)

However, they are both just cooking stoves. They burn out the instant that you've got your food to temperature. If I do another it will be out of thin stainless (0.7mm if I can find it) as it's cheap and easier (ha) to work than Ti. I certainly wouldn't pick Ti unless you are lightweight backpacking. I would also make it about twice the size, which would be about 4 times heavier for the same thickness of material (significantly heavier than the one that's "too heavy").

That is of course why I say that you won't get it right first time. There is NO perfect universal firebox.

0.7mm stainless should be just about possible to cut with aircraft snips, which makes things a LOT easier. A dremel slot cutter is also worth a investment. Drills just don't work well and while a jig saw works, you have to drill holes to get the saw in when cutting slots.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
However, they are both just cooking stoves. They burn out the instant that you've got your food to temperature. If I do another it will be out of thin stainless (0.7mm if I can find it) as it's cheap and easier (ha) to work than Ti. I certainly wouldn't pick Ti unless you are lightweight backpacking. I would also make it about twice the size, which would be about 4 times heavier for the same thickness of material (significantly heavier than the one that's "too heavy").

The short burning time is one reason I like the tentipi one; you can put larger pieces into it. I'm thinking about a nimble nomad stove, but changed to make it longer, i.e. about the same form factor as the small tentipi), but with the open end and a solid bottom (double, like at least one of the commercial versions). Something that could be both a cooking stove and heat a tent. And not rust like the tentipi.

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE