Fire kit, am I missing something.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Recently reviewed my fire kit, piled up everything fire related and kept what I was actually using, barely a handful of stuff. Nothing if you compare this to what people are showing on the internet: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fire+kit

Some of those kits must weight 2-3lbs. Are they crazy or am I missing something with my lighter/matches/few pieces of tinder kit paired with ferrorod on my knife for redundancy? I can also use my stove with piezeo igniter, 18650 battery from my torch or attempt friction fire if I get desperate.

Even less for my EDC:

Not trying to start an argument which method is better as they all have pros and cons. Just got baffled with the choice and how much other people carry.

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Ferro rod
Lighter
Birch bark
Knife

S'nuff for me

I should add I've always got some form of cordage about my person if I have to bowdrill.
The chances, in the UK, of actually being in a survival situation in which several forms of ignition are needed are very very slim.

As they say: "The more you know, the less you carry".

So I have 8 ferro rods, 12 lighters, 3.5kg of birch bark and 23 knives, on my person, at all times. :lmao::naughty:

Last edited:
i'd say carry whatever makes you happy and works for you, but the question isn't how much you carry, but what you can do with it... (=no amount of gear is going to help you if you don't know how to start a fire -- i've seen folks grab soaking wet 3" pieces of oak, holding an evil magic to it and expecting instant success, one woman even trying to light soiled diapers (from her grandson) and asbestos tiles :banghead::banghead: )

since a few days i carry a pocketboy again :) but that's not a specific part of my fire kit, which consists of:
- small waterproof tin containing a steel striker, rope lighter(30-06/.45 shell), some tinder
- char tin with charcloth/ charred punkwood + some flint (or whatever it is but it's giving sparks :) )
- leather pouch with a small homemade match container (matches are in there since longer than i dare to remember and only meant as a back-up), another tin containing some fatwood sticks and jute twine (both in there since i left Japan six years ago) and a magnifying glass; also a piece of lawnmower starter cord (=for bowdrill )
some of it is luxury so i could go more compact if needed

the whole kit lives in my shoulder bag; i don't even own a ferro rod (as i dislike them) and haven't used anything but magnifying glass, flint and steel or friction in over ten years (despite half of my left hand bandaged 7years ago and a broken collar bone 3years ago while cooking on wood fire during both times

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
That's mostly a ready made fire kit in that picture. (Yes, I too have watched too many YT videos.)

Added more lighters and ferro rods by the looks.

Just have a zip lock bag with a lighter, ferro rod, SAK Walker, matches and cotton tinder.
Pack does have duct tape & small jar of vaseline too.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
That's mostly a ready made fire kit in that picture. (Yes, I too have watched too many YT videos.)

Just have a zip lock bag with a lighter, ferro rod, SAK Walker, matches and cotton tinder.
Pack does have duct tape & small jar of vaseline t

Pack does have duct tape & small jar of vaseline too.

From what I have seen on YT this is one of the more reasonable kits. Couple of solid sources of fire, but I don't like the fragmentation in the tinder department. But it would be a great starter kit so experiment with various tinders and when you are done you will be left with few solid components to make your own kit.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
From what I have seen on YT this is one of the more reasonable kits. Couple of solid sources of fire, but I don't like the fragmentation in the tinder department. But it would be a great starter kit so experiment with various tinders and when you are done you will be left with few solid components to make your own kit.
Yeah, for sure. Just wouldn't put it all in a nylon pouch and add duplicates.

On legal note, they are probably violating US postal regulations by shipping the lighter.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
You are right, BigMonster. This doesn't need to be over-thought. Carry a few bits of inner tube and some matches in a block of wax. Plus a lighter for convenience. :)

Ferro rods? Pffft!! :lol:

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Mines pretty basic I thinks.I’ve always managed to light a fire in any weather.
In the metal tin(which I use for making char cloth) is bengal matches, cotton wool soaked in vasaline, bick lighter, charcloth.
5CBF87B1-9C50-4969-8DD7-B1B3CE303995.jpeg

Reactions: TeeDee

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Bigmonster; I watched this because I used Coghlans matches...They worked in a cold, slightly damp static where the regular ones were not happy.

Obviously this is slightly milder conditions than in the vid.

I am lame at firelighting, largely because I am like that guy; too little preparation and too much in a hurry.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
fire.jpg

What is the Orange and Black gizmo in the bottom of the photo?

( I've not watched the YT )

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I was going to say saw too.

Its a very comprehensive kit and I suspect the person who designed it went fireless because they simply couldnt decide what to use.

Reactions: BigMonster

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'm wondering more if a Fire kit ( state side ) is just somewhere to keep all the various different methods one may experiment with in relationship to Fire making as a craft.

Reactions: Danqrl

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Unfortunately no. They actually take it on trips, often as a part of even bigger "Survival kit". Honestly, I'm all for gadgets and bling. But some YT videos boggle the mind. Just search "survival kit", "EDC kit" or "fire kit".

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE