Fire Irons...a comission

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well now, having had some great service from Nigel (Launditch1) and being a guy trying to live a simple, self sufficient life, I decided that our new cooker, needed a set of "service equipment"

This is the cooker

4182956168_cc7530a2f2_o.jpg

And a picture of the "service equipment" awaiting high temperature stove paint in black :)

4612695176_f43f9800d5_o.jpg

Now thats a blacksmith. I wanted poker, square brush and shovel to match, tongs and lid lifter with a "twisted shepherds crook" design

What do you reckon?

Red

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Lovely, lovely, lovely! The only piece of service equipment missing is the swan's wing for sweeping ashes and the flint striker for starting it. Seriously, a brass tin box with flint, striker, charcloth and a bunch of faggots would just set that scene off perfectly.
And what do you have? A box of Zip firelighters! Nooooooo! It just don't look right.

Eric

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Lovely, lovely, lovely! The only piece of service equipment missing is the swan's wing for sweeping ashes and the flint striker for starting it. Seriously, a brass tin box with flint, striker, charcloth and a bunch of faggots would just set that scene off perfectly.
And what do you have? A box of Zip firelighters! Nooooooo! It just don't look right.

Eric

:lmao::lmao: He's got you there BR

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Granted Eric.

However our original quarry tiled floors are known as "bladder fixers". If you didn't need "morning relief" when your feet hit the tiles...you do 5 seconds later :D

When I need to get a burn on to make the first brew and warm up, I am no respecter of authenticity :eek:

I lack the swans wing (and the brass box which I have long wanted), but have been known of an evening to spark up with flint and steel for authenticity I must confess :)

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Literally, the wing of a swan. They were used in the old days like a kind of brush, to sweep up dust and ashes, the feathers acting kind of like the bristles on a brush. It wouldn't be legal now of course, but the wing from any large bird would do the job.

Eric

Correction: Swans wings were not used for this purpose. They have always been royal birds and protected. I should have said "Goose wing".

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Indeed - all credit is to Nigel. I put the thread up really to say "don't be afraid to ask the man for something different" - a very capable smith!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE