Finse Hardandgervidda Norway , Trip planning thread ....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Morning all :)

One thing I love in life is having things to plan for , The other day I was day dreaming about a winter trip .....Hmmmmm where do the Arctic epeds go to practice ...Hmmm also one of the early star wars films had a bit filmed there ,,,Finse ...

On my first solo Norway trip I traveled past Finse ..wow no roads just a train service ..

Below is the link for my first Solo Trip

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46500&highlight=Norway

Anyway this will be a totally different trip , above the tree line :cool:

AIM..........

All expeds need an aim mine will be to experience the area ,,,move away from the train station set up a base camp and enjoy the location for three or four days .

EQUIPMENT ......

A lot of lessons learnt here and on other trips to Norway .

Looking at it I want to keep the costs down so some gear I already have already some I will be buying , testing , modding and making.

I will post my plans as I go along :)

Big part of the exped for me is the planning :).

So coming soon, Tentage , cooking , clothing , maps , food ,safety ,

Remember this will be no hard core exped just a planned camp enjoying the area ...

Just to give you an idea what its like up there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz2vY6ZhluE

Twodogs

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Sounds like a fantastic and epic trip Cliff, really looking for the planning posts as well as the actual write up of the trip :)

I wonder what new wool creations will be coming forth??????

Twodogs longjohns out of finest merino wool blankets perhaps? :rolleyes:

Hopefully we won't be inflicted with modeling pictures:yikes:

Twodogs

Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
So it begins :)

As the trip will be above the snow line its not the time to mess with tarps .

Anchor supplies had a stillage of British military 4 man arctic tent outer for £5 a section after much digging ( like a dog after a bone ) I found two inners and grabbed four flys £30 not bad :D.

Dried them out and got to work putting one together if its good enough for the Royal Marines its good enough for me :cool:

Getting the the inner lashed in place what a pain :eek:

So now I know what I need poles ,guys plus sand pegs ..

Ordered some replacement poles not the gen ones as they are prone to shattering ...

Update soon

Twodogs

Twodogs

Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
STOVES , COOK KIT AND FOOD :)

Another good find at Anchor supplies in a scrap pallet a load of stove burners :) after handing over a small bag of magic beans i skipped away to look at my find .

These stoves have history :)

OK I had to buy a pump but it got me thinking about expeds so all good ,

After a bit of utube and servicing its kero time ,

This morning i made up a set of wire pan stands yes it works but i dont fancy two liter of melting snow falling on me in a tent ....hmmm

Trangia time ,,, sorts out the cook kit at the same time ,

Burner

MSR Snow base

Add trangia and light

Add water and lid

Boil

I will be taking a MSR service kit

Note the burning on the trangia inner was from an other trip when we went mad with the meths

As I will be using kero preheated with meths I will take a trangia burner as a back up stove

So that all the snow melting needs sorted .

Food

I intend using real turmat dried food for the exped as it works and tastes good not cheap though :(,, plus lompars , sausages and tabasco :cool:

Note the long spoon ;)

A flask to store melted snow and a coffee pot for cowboy coffee .....got to have real coffee :)

Thats stoves , cook kit and food sorted ...

Twodogs

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Why not stick with the Trangia burner only?
Saves precious weight.
You burned through the Al alloy because you used a pressurised flame. Too hot. But you know that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE