Finland. Arctic Circle 2011 trip, Bodge and Muddy Boots

We have just got back from the Arctic Circle hiking centre. The trip was inspired from 'Docs solo trip' from last year.
there will probally be plenty of pics soon but just thought I'd share this one.
DSC03304.jpg

Taken at around midnight with my 2mp Sony DSC-U30.
Muddy Boots has a ton of photos too so we will sort out some of the best and get them posted up with some details of the trip.

Last edited:
Just to ad a few pics.

We had an hour to kill at Helsinki.
DSC03259.jpg

One of the many log stores.
DSC03262.jpg

A typical communial fire circle.
DSC03263.jpg

A shot of the river.
DSC03265.jpg

Day 2 on our first trail.
DSC03268.jpg

A view from the trail.
DSC03269.jpg

A quick brew up
DSC03279.jpg

The path from the river to one of the Lavvus (lean to shelter).
DSC03282.jpg

The opposite shot of the previous.
DSC03290.jpg

We supplemented our rat packs with these local delicacies.
DSC03295.jpg

This shelter had a resident kettle.
DSC03298.jpg

Me.
DSC03300.jpg

A river trout caught with my hobo hand reel (by FISH).
DSC03303.jpg

DSC03306.jpg

DSC03308.jpg

DSC03311.jpg

DSC03321.jpg

DSC03329.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e274/bodgeb
/DSC03325.jpg

One of the woodstores.
DSC03331.jpg

Dry composting toilet.
DSC03332.jpg

And the interior for those who are interested.
DSC03333.jpg

An ant hill, around 100cm high, massive ants in huge numbers were everywhere you looked.
DSC03336.jpg

Did I mention there are lots of trees?
DSC03337.jpg

Another Lavvu, another view.
DSC03339.jpg

This is a day hut, no sleeping allowed except in emergencies, a small fire place and a few provisions and candles left by previous users.
DSC03344.jpg

Interior shot.
DSC03346.jpg

This is the path to and from the day hut. This area is peat bog as far as the eye can see. The photo was taken around 10pm. The duck boards are essential as stepping off them for research purposes results in a sinking feeling to above the ankle or higher if
one stayed there.
DSC03349.jpg

I have more photos, but Muddy Boots has some great snaps so will wait to see what he puts up.

Bodge, fantastic pics, looks like you two had a great trip.

What were the temperatures like?

Any problems with insects?

Hi Martin, it was a great trip. We had temps of up to 18 degrees in the day (sun permitting) and down to about 4 degrees at night. All in all much like March in Blighty. Insect wise, The mozzies were just starting to appear and we both had a few bites despite using repellents (more on this later when we do a kit comparison shoot out). I think we timed it perfectly as in a couple of weeks the mozzies will be out in force and as the area is mainly bog I can forsee much insect activity.
I packed my mozzi net at the last minute and am very glad that I did. Once the smoke from the fire died out in the wee small hours we were at their mercy. Dave hid in his Nanock -10 with the hood up, I think he needed a drain tap at the bottom to cope with the sweat.:)

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Nice one, thanks for sharing the pics and selling the dream as Cliff said! Great to see you caught some fresh trout with the hobo fishing set, I'll bet you were well chuffed with that! Awesome pics...

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
You lucky lucky ....ers. I could look at those pictures all day.

Glad all went well and you got back safe.

One day.....

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Hi Martin, it was a great trip. We had temps of up to 18 degrees in the day (sun permitting) and down to about 4 degrees at night. All in all much like March in Blighty. Insect wise, The mozzies were just starting to appear and we both had a few bites despite using repellents (more on this later when we do a kit comparison shoot out). I think we timed it perfectly as in a couple of weeks the mozzies will be out in force and as the area is mainly bog I can forsee much insect activity.
I packed my mozzi net at the last minute and am very glad that I did. Once the smoke from the fire died out in the wee small hours we were at their mercy. Dave hid in his Nanock -10 with the hood up, I think he needed a drain tap at the bottom to cope with the sweat.:)

Cheers Bodge. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE