Finland. Arctic Circle 2011 trip, Bodge and Muddy Boots

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
Thanks for posting those Bodge.

I've got about 240 pictures and will post the best as soon as I can get photobucket to work.

It was an absolutely awesome trip. I think to the guys that helped and got involved in the planning or lending of kit many thanks.

The Finnish people we met over there were without exemption some of the nicest folk you could wish to meet.

Within an hour of landing at the Hiking Centre we were gifted enough fishing bait for a week.

The Laavus were all immaculately clean and well maintained. It was developing into a theme at one point as we never lit a fire for the first couple of days as every time we landed at a Laavu there was one ticking over in the fire place.

The scenery was incredible also and as you can see from the sunsets they were breath taking.

We walked on average between about 7 to 8k a day and had a dedicated rest day to practice a few bushcraft skills.

It's amazing how well everything works over there. fire lighting is a piece of cake with plenty of Silver birch and old man's beard.

I can't wait to head back for another visit.

Looking back I can't remember a low point in the hole week and I remember lots of laughs and just a fantastic place.

I'll crack on trying to post up some pictures and I'll bring the Laptop to the next North Wood meet for a formal debrief if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Nice one Dave. Look forward to the rest of the pictures.
I'll try and get down for the NW Meet for the debrief.

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
This looks like an epic trip!

Just wondered, was it an organised thing or did you just plan your route etc in the UK?

Cheers

Joel

The route was planned on the ground pretty much. we had no fixed agenda in terms of places to see and visit.

The Arctic Hiking Centre is very easy to navigate your way around. All the Laavus and have clear maps and there are sign posts all over the place. Most of the routes through the wood are either marked with way markers or when it is muddy / boggy you are walking across duck boards.

I'll post up pictures and helpful links if you fancy giving this one a go.

It is well worth it but I wouldn't entertain going over the next couple of months as the mosquito season is just kicking off.

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
Ok here we go

This is the kind of map you will find attached to every Laavu
DSCF2143.jpg

This is the trail head at the Arctic Hiking Centre. Its 3 Laavus with a fire in the centre. As with all the Laavus we found spotlessly clean and well stoked with fire wood

DSCF1918.jpg

Sunset about 1am

DSCF2050.jpg

DSCF2057.jpg

DSCF2059.jpg

Most of the marsh paths were duckboarded out

DSCF2067.jpg

cos you wouldn't wanna go in

DSCF2068.jpg

We called this place the Ewok village

DSCF2079.jpg

This guy had a proper howl on

DSCF1963.jpg

Everything worked old man's beard and birch bark

DSCF2146.jpg

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
Last couple

This is what woke us at 9am

DSCF1961.jpg

Apparently there was a little bit of this going on

DSCF1968.jpg

Another day another Laavu

This one is about 600 metres from the Trail Head

DSCF2114.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE