fifteen or less challenge second year!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Right im now packed

Top row

1 Tent - 2 man vango
2 Tarp - DD XL
3 Bag - Snugpak Elite 4 (its summer dont ya know) :D
4 Mat - Exped Syn Mat LW 9

Middle Row

5 Small hip flask
6 Hygene Kit - No Toilets on site
7 Knife and Stone (im classing this as one item as i want to look after my blade)
8 Laplander
9 SAT mess kit, No Burner

Bottom Row

10 Brew Kit - Contains stainless cup, canister of coffee, milk powder, soup sachets, hot chocolate
11 Tinder bag - Hardcore tinder including tea lite candles, wax soaked pads and Vaseline (weather is going to be awful)
12 UCO lantern and candles (in tinder bag)
13 Lighter

Not pictured

14 Chair
15 Food & Water in containers

safety and Free Items

Pack - LA Sting
FAK
Bin bag
Phone & charger
Ecig (nicotine luxury item pictured bottom right next to phone charger))
Fire Box (site rules fire must be raised and contained)

008c7dc1.jpg

I will attempt to make a spoon and fork on site and maybe a plate. The only change i might make is to ditch alcohol and bring my new multi fuel stove (mainly cos its new and i want to play)

Ive greatly enjoyed coming up with my list so cheers Phil and Sam for their advice.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Just seeing if I've even got 15 items...

1) Carinthia Tropen Sleeping Bag
2) Alpkit Hunka XL bivi bag
3) Eurohike Silk liner
4) US (I think) Poncho
5) Tenth Wonder Hornet XW
6) Food
7) Swedish Trangia (or does that count as multiple items)?
8) Lighter
9) Dutch army mug
10) Shemagh
11) SAK
12) Water bottle
13) KFS set - see 7"
14) Compass
15) OS Map

Think that's it unless I've cheated

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
water bottle is free with food mate and id say SAT (and burner if you want it) is one item but KFS is its own thing. I would say poncho and shemagh are clothing and not items unless you are taking another waterproof in which case the poncho is extra.

best get Sams view though

Have fun

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Fingers crossed i should get out this week or next.

1. Pack - LA Sting
2. Tarp
3. British Issue Bivi
4. Nanok Endurance 0 Sleeping Bag
5. Alpkit Wideboy Sleeping Mat
6. Groundsheet (wouldnt normal not bother but i am borrowing my mates Alpkit Wideboy, but could use the blanket f the ground is not soaked)
7. Cordage
8. Ferro Rod
9. Knife
10. 24" BuckSaw Blade
11. Petzl Tactikka 2 Head Torch
12. Crusdader Mug
13. MSR Stowaway Pot
14. Blanket
15. Food

Free Items
1. FAK
2. Phone
3. Camera
4. Bin Bag
5. Water
6. Clothing inc Shemagh and Poncho due to the rain and i have no waterproof clothing.

Luxury Item.
Coffee

Last edited:

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
That's a lean list Sam. No I'm out with my kit I must confess that 15 items doesn't feel like much of a hardship. I think 10 or less would really make me focus. A great way of reducing clutter though for sure.

That's a lean list Sam. No I'm out with my kit I must confess that 15 items doesn't feel like much of a hardship. I think 10 or less would really make me focus. A great way of reducing clutter though for sure.
Thats cause i am daft paul:)
ten or less i thought might put folk off
having a set number does focus the mind on what is important and what is just wants or shiny kit syndrome

Is this still running...as me and my son would love a go... we can do at least two nights...
We would try for a lot less than 10 items between us.
We are away this weekend (shelter building practice plus a clean up of the place after numptys have been)
So we could do the challenge in three weeks time when our next time slot to get away become available.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
here is my piccies

didnt really do anything wonderful or inventive besides making a crap spoon. i did find it quite easy and will try and go for 10 or less next time out.

Arrival
17c7a5f6.jpg

Tarp up

8942f4ee.jpg

Tent up

216c0fc7.jpg

Dinner on - look what we found with smash :thumbup:

5968f667.jpg

Something to eat with. It didnt look very good but i didnt starve lol

ddbddfd6.jpg

Stumbled across a fire in the wood so rested a while with my hip flask

5c101dc2.jpg

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I went with the list i posted earlier in the thread, Didnt really need the saw or the tinder kit. I would have taken a head torch rather than the UCO but the UCO was new and i wanted to play. If the weather had been better id have left the tarp too. Dont think there was anything i really missed or would have wanted extra

It really made me think about what i really need and for the first time ever my pack was a pleasure to wear.

My dad always said you never need to take more drink with you than you can fit in a hip flask. So i got a 2l one :D

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... Didnt really need the saw or the tinder kit.

Yeah, those two tend to be occasional essentials for me too ~ most often they sit idle, but sometime they've save me a whole world of hassle :approve:

I would have taken a head torch rather than the UCO but the UCO was new and i wanted to play.

Good move, most kit can be checked and tested at home ~ but using them in situ tells you whether it's worth its weight and having to rely on it will have given more of an insight to its strengths and weaknesses ;) .

If the weather had been better id have left the tarp too.

Or kept the tarp and ditched the tent? :mosquitos:

It really made me think about what i really need

Dave and Sam came up with a good concept didn't they :D .

and for the first time ever my pack was a pleasure to wear.

Quite telling, isn't it ;) .

My dad always said you never need to take more drink with you than you can fit in a hip flask. So i got a 2l one :D

:rofl: I like that quote :rofl:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE