fifteen or less challenge second year!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Should have added that the SAT cook pot is a stunning (if heavy) bit of gear. ill leave the windshield home next outing to save weight but is just the right size in every way

RE juggled list
1 &2 water proof poncho's(2 items)

3 hatchet
4 knife
[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]5 mug[/FONT]
[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]6 billy can[/FONT]
[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]7 food[/FONT]
[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]8 brew kit[/FONT]
[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]9 tinder/fire pouch[/FONT]
[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]10 Roll Mat[/FONT]
[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]11 Hip Flask of Stag's Breath[/FONT]
12 blanket

[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]Scrapped the head torch just have to make sure i dont walk into anything in the dark[/FONT]
[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]food wise i'm going with chorizo and bannock and bacon (tortilla)rolls[/FONT]
[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]Pete is bringing kebabs and rice[/FONT]
[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]if i were doing this completely on my own i would more than likely take cous cous and a smoked sausage plus my above mentioned grub and a couple of instant soups[/FONT]​

Last edited:

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
ooh, now this looks very interesting - and probably far too easy for someone who's in Portugal...no need for a tarp in summer, you could get by with:
blanket (it gets surprisingly cold at night) no need for it though, if you have *winter*clothes
food and lots of water
firebox if you really need hot meals and brews *and maybe a saw for wood then
cooking kit/eating kit
knife(s)
hygiene kit

FAK, clothing(zip-off trousers, shirt, jacket, socks, shoes)(and swim gear might be nice, depending on where you are)

oh yeah, and insect repellent (citronella wipes maybe?)

I might try this actually, sounds easier than it would be in england

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
ooh, now this looks very interesting - and probably far too easy for someone who's in Portugal...no need for a tarp in summer, you could get by with:
blanket (it gets surprisingly cold at night) no need for it though, if you have *winter*clothes
food and lots of water
firebox if you really need hot meals and brews *and maybe a saw for wood then
cooking kit/eating kit
knife(s)
hygiene kit

FAK, clothing(zip-off trousers, shirt, jacket, socks, shoes)(and swim gear might be nice, depending on where you are)

oh yeah, and insect repellent (citronella wipes maybe?)

I might try this actually, sounds easier than it would be in england

The less you take the better your score :D

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
I quite like the idea of this, although being a bit new to it I may try and wait until it isn't quite so wet!
One question though - if I take my dog with me, does his stuff count to the fifteen? I promise not to share his bowl....
I'm thinking his lead, his bowl and a jacket I put on him at night when he's curled up under our tarp.

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
The less you take the better your score :D

if I wasn't going far from my house/land, and if I was hunting (if only I had a nearby lake I could fish in!) I could make do with a lot less, as long as I had access to a water source (read:tap)I could make do with: (summer)
blanket, shovel, knife (not sure which), saw, means of making fire, pot oh, and hygiene kit(tooth cleaning and TP) (and maybe food)
with freebies of FAK, clothing (shorts and tee-shirt[does that get me extra points?:p])
using the shovel and water, I could make a firebox (our land is pretty much clay), I could probably catch a rabbit or pigeon, and definitely some sparrows (oh for a lake nearby) carobs are worryingly ripe (far too early) and there are almonds that I could probably eat....food would actually be the biggest problem

am I allowed to use tap water, or do I have to bring it with me when there is no natural source?

Last edited:
Well i faied miserably on the fifteen or less part of the challenge..... too much temptation in Pete's car as it was still loaded up with goodies from the previous weekend away fishing with his mate. but we had a good time photo's to follow in a seperate thread soon.

SCM re tap water erm i'd say yeah thats ok as long as you don't keep going back to it too much
we took in 11ltrs between us on friday but didnt use it all

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
SCM re tap water erm i'd say yeah thats ok as long as you don't keep going back to it too much
we took in 11ltrs between us on friday but didnt use it all
Thanks- I just feel that using tap water to make an adobe "firebox" would make much more sense than taking bottled water...only to sort of throw it away!

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
ummm....does a SAK count a one item? or does it count as however many tools it has on it?

I may be making a trip sooner than I thought, but I have decided to not make a fire (probably), because it's just too much of a risk :( even so, I wish I could, I'm not fond of cold food

p.s.when does the challenge close again? can't seem to remember/find the close date:rolleyes:

SAK is one item as its one thing
i believe the end of august i said after several edits to the end date.
RE fire if conditions prevent you from having a ground fire you can take a fire box/bbq to elevate the fire for free
for example near me is a pine wood that has a good 3 or 4 inch deep leaf litter unsafe to have an open fire on it so a container is free as it is a safety issue

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
even with a firebox I would be very, very nervous, and I don't think it's a good idea I would only really feel safe if it had just rained, or if I had one of these
2636683614-barbecue.jpg

and they aren't very portable, really (I probably could make one in adobe, but it would almost certainly take more than a day, and require more stuff than I am willing to bring (I would need quite a lot of bricks, so would need forms, shovel, bucket to mix in....) too much faff, so I will (if I actually do this comp) make food beforehand, then carry it in, supplement with almonds, maybe, carobs(bit iffy about these though, even if they are quite good)

hmm... I remember reading about a type of bread-loaf that was stuffed with nuts, maybe meat too, or with raisins, honey, sweet stuff... an entire meal in one or two loaves:)

now I think about it, I may have a gas mini-stove somewhere...hmmmm

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
if you can build the above i would be well impressed :)
hmm... I actually think it wouldn't be so hard...if you leave out the faffy bits to the sides, just do the centre, you may have to include some metal for the floor and lintel, but maybe not, it would depend on the design...dammit, i don't need another project!:lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE